PDA

View Full Version : 250sx Front end swap question

montess85
05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I have all the parts to do this, but I am planing on keeping my triple trees....I know there is a member here who has done this but I can't find his thread.....I was wondering is anyone knew what spacers you have to use.....Or if anyone knows who he is so I can contact him...

85200xrider
05-10-2009, 10:37 AM
might help if you said what front end you wanted to swap it with

vegas250rr
05-10-2009, 11:03 AM
if its the 200x... everything fits, just change your steering stops
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/Rides/trike%20ralley%2009/DSC04788.jpg

Dirtcrasher
05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
If your using your tripples you won't need steering stops. You'll have to shim some things if you wan't to run the caliper but you cannot use your drum brake anymore with the 200X leg (why would ya want to anyway :D) You'll also need some pieces of black pipe to center the smaller tire within the forks.

Would be better to change out the tripples and do the whole swap with no messing around aside from steering stops.

montess85
05-10-2009, 12:02 PM
It is a 200x front end....I dont want to mess around with the steering stops...I know I need to space the 200x front tire and brake caliper....I know its been done this way I was wondering if anyone knew what size spacers to use

racerxxx
05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Here ya go, Smvorndran did this thread, I just keep it on file for future reference. Enjoy

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=88189&highlight=250sx

QUOTE:

I used the 250SX triples, 200X forks, 250SX fender, 250SX headlight, 250SX front axle, 200X front wheel & brake system. To do the conversion, like Dirtcrasher said, you need to add spacers on the outside of the current 200X spacers on the 250SX axle, and add spacers between the forks and caliper mount plate. My axle spacers were .790" Outside diameter, 19/32" Inside diameter, and .790" long. You need 2, one for each side. The brake plate that bolts to the forks needs spaced as well. Those spacers were 5/8" Outside diameter, 21/64" Inside Diameter, and .790" long. You need two of those as well.

You'll also need 2 new M8x1.25 x 65mm flange head bolts to bolt the plate back on. My hardware store only had 70mm long bolts for $1.80 a piece. I ground the length down a little, so the bolts just stick thru the plate about a 1/16th of an inch. It's going to be an awesome setup!!! Just a note, I also added 1.25" long aluminum spacers on top of the springs to take out the sag of the forks on the heavier 250SX. Hopefully I'll have a ride report by this weekend.

I'm pretty stoked about the front disc brake. When I bought the SX back in January, the front drum brakes were unhooked. I never bothered to hook them up because I've been planning this conversion since the day I bought it. I was just lucky enough to find an 86 200X parts donor. I'll let you know how it goes. The only thing I'm thinking about changing is to a stainless braided front brake line.

smvorndran

Racerxxx

smvorndran
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Yep, I used 86 200X parts to change mine over. It was the best swap ever. Once you have all the parts, it only takes an hour to swap over. I recommend you clean and pack the ball bearings on your steering neck while you're in there. Tapered bearings are nice, but if you have all the stock balls, and they're decent, a new slathering of grease is fine. I also added a Clarke plastic tank. No more sore knees from banging into the tank on the trails. I never noticed this until I had a YTM225, and my knees felt a lot better.shens

smvorndran