PDA

View Full Version : is my timing on or off?

acidburn
05-09-2009, 12:02 PM
when i put my piston TDC and take off my intake valve cover (the one at the top of the engine) as soon as the piston goes down the valve goes down

acidburn
05-09-2009, 12:03 PM
oh and my bike is a 81 ATC200.

sandpuppi101
05-09-2009, 12:15 PM
If your turning the motor over in a counterclockwise motion,then that would be your exhaust valve and yes it should open.Take the pulser cover off where it say's CDI,ya know that cover with the 2 phillip's screw's ,and take the plug off of the top of the recoil,where it has the regular screwdriver head,roll the motor over counterclockwise until you see the T mark,and look at the pulser which is under the CDI cover remember.If the pulse generator line's up with the T mark's than your timing is spot on.The F mark is at so many rpm's,I cant remember,like at idle_- But I use that with a timing light when the motor is running..

acidburn
05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
my timing mark is off by a pinky counter clock wise, i am almost positive thats how it was when it was timed and working though.

i checked the spark im getting nice blue, i tried starting it up out of about 200 pulls it fired up 3 times for a second...

SWIGIN
05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
when i put my piston TDC and take off my intake valve cover (the one at the top of the engine) as soon as the piston goes down the valve goes down

this is the exhaust stroke, sounds like you arnt on TDC of the compression stroke.

acidburn
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
ok so if i remember correctly i need to take off my fire timing etc, line the cam sprocket tdc, unscrew the cam sproket and rotate the rotor 180 and the sprocket should line up??

sandpuppi101
05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
You did'nt mess with the pulser spring /weight assembly did you ,what I'm getting at is you did'nt switch the magnet 180 degreese did you ? And your just completing the compression stroke when you the frt valve move's ?

acidburn
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
i didnt mess with the weight assembly, when the piston is TDC, the cam sprocket is a pinky off the mark, and when the piston goes down the valve goes down when the piston hits bottom.

acidburn
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
i lined up the mark then got the piston at the top put it back on but now im not getting spark