PDA

View Full Version : Oil additives

pfunk
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
First post here. Been reading the forum from time to time.

I have a question about oil additives. I use Lucas or Slick 50 religiously in all of my high mileage cars, and im a firm believer that they really do work. But I'm kind of torn on whether or not to add anything to my oil in my 1985 Honda 250ES.

Has Anyone here ever tried adding any Silicone based (or any other) products to your oil on an atv?

KillerBox
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I am not much of a mechanic but, I would not recommend putting anything in your oil that will make it slicker since your wet clutches use the same oil.

pfunk
05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I am not much of a mechanic but, I would not recommend putting anything in your oil that will make it slicker since your wet clutches use the same oil.

Yea thats a good point. Ive researched the crap out of this topic, and haven’t found any information leading one way or the other (other then what Honda recommends in the manual).

Im leaning towards not using anything but the recommended 20-40. I was just wondering if anyone had tried to use something to extend the life on an older atv. I do a lot of mud bogging / trail riding, and I want to do everything I can to ensure my trike lasts me til at least next year before I have to rebuild the top end. Right now I got no smoke, fires up first kick, and idles smooth. I want to keep it that way.

MonroeMike
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think I'd use Slick 50 in anything after reading this.

http://www.1expired.com/dura-lube_slick50.htm

WIkid500
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
if you add anything used a product called ZDDP plus. It puts the zinc back in the oil that some companies took out. But I would just run a good atv oil designed for wet clutches and you will be fine. My old yammi gets spectro 10w-40 and my newly built honda gets Amsoil full synthetic 10w-40. The honda is new so I can't say much but the yammi gets beat to livin piss and it doesn't die, the engine purrs like a kitten yet.

pfunk
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't think I'd use Slick 50 in anything after reading this.

http://www.1expired.com/dura-lube_slick50.htm

Yea, there's a lot of negative hype out there about those products. Ive been using them since day one, and ive never had any problems. I know for a fact that they will quiet an old motor down. Whether or not they extend the life, is hard to tell. But i feel like they do. Just not sure about using them on ATV's. Im def leaning against it.

pfunk
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
if you add anything used a product called ZDDP plus. It puts the zinc back in the oil that some companies took out. But I would just run a good atv oil designed for wet clutches and you will be fine. My old yammi gets spectro 10w-40 and my newly built honda gets Amsoil full synthetic 10w-40. The honda is new so I can't say much but the yammi gets beat to livin piss and it doesn't die, the engine purrs like a kitten yet.

I will look into that. Thanks for the info!

hoser
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
You read this yet?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Sure we all know lucas is a BIG name and sponsors everything like K&N but like K&N that dont mean their filters are any good.

On a side note last fall I bought a Tahoe that the engine had locked up, the oil cooler line leaked and all the oil drained out, the guys wife kept stepping on the gas harder and harder "like it was going up a steep hill" until it quit, the engine had 206k miles and was run on just regular oil no additives its whole life, once apart and I measured everything the whole engine was still in factory specs including the oil pump, I changed all the bearings, rings, seals and timing chain, engine runs perfect and I now have about 10k miles on it.

I have taken many engines to 190k to 200k with regular oil never had a problem I guess you gotta ask your self how many hundreds of thousands of miles you want to go, its been my observation most people add crap to their oil for a "peace of mind" or for wishful thinking, cant count the amount of friends I have that when their car or truck acts slightly out of the normal (might hickup or something) they run out and start throwing all kinds of gas and oil additives to it spending 40-60 bux in hopes a miracle is going to happen and all their problems go away.

For me I have complete peace of mind knowing I run NO additives in anyhting and dont have to worry about any chemical reactions that happen when I start mixing the unknown chemicals to my gas or oil.

Pretty sure I read someplace that DUPONT sued slick 50 to take the DUPONT name off the slick 50 product because DUPONT said the Teflon added to the oil DOES NOTHING and they didnt want their good name taken down by snake oil salesman...