PDA

View Full Version : Help with chain alignment issue

Jcode
05-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Searched best I could but can't dig up the info, and not so sure my problem is that easy.

Just picked up a 85 200s and a 83 200e Big Red. The 200s is great but 'Red's got a chain alignment problem. But I think it might be a larger problem than it sounds.

The rear sprocket can see, looking from the back, is kicked inward at the front just a bit. But it's enough to pop the chain off just rolling the tires by hand. I see nothing obvious bent anywhere, nor do I see an easy way to align this. But eye balling the tires, it looks like the left tire is closer to the finder than the right. Take a look.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/thejcode/Quad/103_1331-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/thejcode/Quad/103_1332.jpg

Good be fenders for all I know, but that's quite a bit, and it makes sense with the direction my rear sprocket is kicked.

Here's a look at the chain.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/thejcode/Quad/103_1334.jpg

What's your take on this? Is there an obvious aligner I'm missing, or could something be bent? I can't say I see anything in the frame obvious but I just got these last night, and wanted to take a look at this chain issue on 'Red but need help on this one.

Oh, if this helps anything, a couple bolts (out of the 4?) holding the rear axle to the frame were loose. And the top left bolt was leaning towards me. None of them were that tight. But I'm going to chock that up for the previous guy was working on this and couldn't get it, so didn't bother buttoning everything back up.

Thanks guys! The sooner answer the better, its out on my trailer right now, and It's suppose to rain next 3 days starting later this afternoon.

AutoXer
05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
well tighten all bolts and check bearings for the fist step...

Jcode
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
What bearings need to be checked? I'm aware of the rear axle carrier which got to disassemble the whole back end to pull axles out and what not. Figuring that to be a last step.

I did give everything a good bite back down and sprocket/wheels are still rotated clockwise a little.

Gearheadtom
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Try loosening all the bolts that hold the axel in place and pull the axel back to even it out. There should be lots of possible movement because thats where the axel moves to adjust the chain tension

atctim
05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
What bearings need to be checked? I'm aware of the rear axle carrier which got to disassemble the whole back end to pull axles out and what not. Figuring that to be a last step.

Actually - this should be your very first step!
That is the first place I would look. What are the chances it may have the wrong axle in it?

Jcode
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Think I got 'er! I just took the top bolts out, and loosed the bottoms ones quit a bit, then let the chain fall off. Thats when the whole axle carrier could rock around. I dinked with it and got it lined up, chain stays on now! My problem was I was leaving the chain on so it was keeping to much tension on the axle so it wouldnt move.

This brings me to my next couple questoins.

The chain is TIGHT tight tight. Can barely move it up and down, but I have no movement left. Now, is the bottom bolts all the way forward going to loosen the chain, or all the way back? Is this like my polaris quad I had, where you loosed up the 2 bolts, and just pushed the atv forward/back to loosen or tight the chain? Let the whole carrier rotate so put tension on the chain. Right now there all the way forward, and chain is tight. On the 250s I have, chains got tons of play and not giving a problem so like that more.

The last thing, does this big red, is it suppose to start off like its got a clutch?? It revs really high then starts moving slow and then gets going while at the same time the rpms pull down. Then starts moving. What should i be looking at replacing to fix that? It barely wants to get going and rpms keep picking up till it goes off, and even then it feels like its fighting to keep momentum, just higher rpms than seems there should be.

At the very least, atleast it runs and moves now. Now just have to figure out why it's got such a high idle. If I put the high/low lever right in the middle, it rpms go way to high to put it back in gear.

Maybe a airleak or should I try adjust the idler screw?