PDA

View Full Version : Picked up this 1985 250R

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
New member here. I just picked up this 85 R from CL. The frame has been painted white and it has an older DG silencer. The plastic has some scuffs, but no cracks. It is missing the parking brake cable and has a homemade rear grab bar. The guy that had it says that the motor has had new top end as well as new crank bearings and seals. He also says new bearings all the way around, including the steering stem. New stator and clutch as well. He said the front forks were rebuilt, but the boots look old. It does run like a champ and shifts quite smoothly. The only thing I have done so far is RTV the exhaust flange to fix a leak.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/mahackney42/ATC250R/DSC01519.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/mahackney42/ATC250R/DSC01518.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/mahackney42/ATC250R/DSC01521.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/mahackney42/ATC250R/DSC01520.jpg

This thing apparently led a pretty hard life as a racer in the late 80's. It even came with a second set of plastic in....get this...hot pink! Just picture this thing on the track with the theme to Miami Vice playing.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/mahackney42/ATC250R/DSC01522.jpg

What do you guys think?

Mark

factoryX
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
lol, your pegs are a little on the bent side.

fabiodriven
05-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Very nice. Can't go wrong with a 250R.

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 05:20 PM
lol, your pegs are a little on the bent side.

Yeah, especially the right one. Like I said, I think it led a tough life! Looks like the pegs are pretty affordable on ebay.

Mark

85200xrider
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
do i see 2 fatcats in the backround?

torker
05-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, your "other set of plastics" were, at some point, red. They're not pink, just a little faded, that's all :lol: :lol: Ohh, and MAIER rear race plastics actually.
Ask away. Most guys here, including me, will be able to help with most anything.
I'd say just ride the thing and enjoy :beer :Bounce
:welcome: to the forums buddy... Is that a 356 PORSCHE in there???
TORKER.

Custom200
05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice R. Seeing as it waspossibly raced hard I'd througly go through it and

replace anything it needed(not over the top, just to keep reliabilty). What is

that car looks pretty mint.

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, your "other set of plastics" were, at some point, red. They're not pink, just a little faded, that's all :lol: :lol: Ohh, and MAIER rear race plastics actually.
Ask away. Most guys here, including me, will be able to help with most anything.
I'd say just ride the thing and enjoy :beer :Bounce
:welcome: to the forums buddy... Is that a 356 PORSCHE in there???
TORKER.

Nope. While they are faded, they are molded in hot pink, through and through. I checked by taking a small chunk outta the back side. The original color looks to be at the back of the front fender.

Yes. 1960 Porsche 356 B. I've been working on this jewel for 6 years off and on. Got her as a basket case and all that's left to do is the interior. I feel the Tecate guys' pain when parts hunting for this thing!

Mark

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
do i see 2 fatcats in the backround?

Yes! 2 x 1986 FatCats. I got these from the original owner last year and have had a blast on them since. These got me into the 80s ATVs and after reading on 3WW every evening, well a 250R was sure to follow.

Mark

AutoXer
05-01-2009, 06:08 PM
through some 18" fastrekkers on there and you will be the coolest kid in your town!!!! I love the hot pink plastic .... just got some pink fork gaurds for the wifes auto X. Congrats on your purchase

MonroeMike
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Wecome. You have some nice toys there.

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I forgot to mention the price. I paid $1400, which seems like a good deal if all the work that was supposed to be done actually was. I was looking for a more original example in better shape, but there aren't that many R's to look at around here. My patience got the best of me and I grabbed the closest one.

Mark

85200xrider
05-01-2009, 07:55 PM
im trying to get my hands on a fatcat. i found one at a local swap meet last year for 100 but by the time i found my wife for the cash it was gone haha

harryredtrike
05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
very nice,wish it was mine.will get one someday.:Bounce

mahackney42
05-01-2009, 09:34 PM
im trying to get my hands on a fatcat. i found one at a local swap meet last year for 100 but by the time i found my wife for the cash it was gone haha

Yeah, wives are good for that.
They pop up on Ebay occasionally (FatCats, not wives), but the good ones go for $2000 or so. Keep checking CList....that's where the deals will be. The side plastics and esp. the headlight surround are unobtainium, so don't buy one without these.

Mark

Thorpe
05-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, especially the right one. Like I said, I think it led a tough life! Looks like the pegs are pretty affordable on ebay.

Mark

The pegs just need a little heat and beat... I straightened the ones on my 350X and BR out to look like new...

Autophysn
05-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Those are some wicked tires you got on it dude! Bike looks great! What kind of terrain do you usually ride? Via dirt, sand, mud, all LOL!

Welcome bro!

mahackney42
05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Those are some wicked tires you got on it dude! Bike looks great! What kind of terrain do you usually ride? Via dirt, sand, mud, all LOL!

Welcome bro!

Those tires are Kenda Bear Claws, installed by the seller. Not my first choice but hey they're mine now! I usually ride trails, some hardpack and some mud so they actually do OK.

Went for the first ride today on the R (other than around the yard) and damn these things are FAST! Keeps up with my Z400 no problem. It was a little wet out so the bear claws hooked up nice. Part of the area that I rode in today is coal slag and sort of loose and gravely, with these meaty tires having sort of a paddle effect.

I was expecting a peaky type power but in the lower gears there is actually some torque there. The front wheel can be lifted by just gassing it in the first three gears anyway. Landing the jumps was also very soft and the suspension feels quite nice. Overall VERY pleased with this purchase and no mechanical issues on the first outing. I will definitely ride this for awhile before doing any type of restoration.

Mark