PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt carb has the drip....

Thorpe
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Just rebuilt the carb on my BR, now I seem to have a overflow drip... Any input? I pulled the float back out, blew out the seat with compressed air... Is there a way to do any adjustment to the float? Or do I just start looking for a new one?

rugman316
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
As far as I know there isn't any float adjustment. I got a new one on ebay for around $70 seems to work just fine.

Autophysn
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
It is most probable that there is a adjustment to the float, I have never seen any kind of a carburetor that did not require and adjustment, but I can not tell you what it is for your carb, Sorry.

However what I can tell you is to eyeball the float travel, bend the tab that the float has attached to it, near it's point of articulation, and prevent the float from traveling higher than what would seem normal to you. Then reassembel and check. You may have to this several times, but you will get close.

Hopefully someone here can help you better than my moronic way of doing it, but all I can say, is YES, there should be some sort of an adjustment.

harryredtrike
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
did it drip before you touched it.did you work on the carb with the floats still on.maybe you bent the float support and changed the float level.just bend it back if thats the problem.easy.or maybe needs a shot of penicillian ha ha ha

Thorpe
04-29-2009, 09:56 PM
The carb was a total p.o.s. when I got it... There was so much rtv instead of a bowl gasket, it held the floats up... The guy I bought it from wasnt too bright to say the least. Cant bend the tab, its plastic...

So I am sitting here, having a beer, when VIOLA! Genius strikes... My BR just needed a beer to fix the float! I polished off my beer, cracked open another one, grabber a scissor (sp?) and cut the can open. Cut little tiny shim pieces, and shimmed the float up till it was level and applying the correct pressure on the float valve! No need to spend big money, just needed a little thinking juice!

Thorpe
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
The float was getting a bit worn in my BR. Really should be replaced, but no money, and I wanna go riding on saturday... Getting really tired of the drip out the overflow too... So I am pondering what to do, sit down and look at the carb for a few moments while I enjoy a beer, when all of a sudden, BEER is the answer! I cut up a few pieces of tin from the can, and used them to shim the float valve! And to think, my wife says I never come up with good ideas when I am drinking... This will show her! :beer

Yamaha_Rules69
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Haha, thats hilarious. Where do you usually ride? Have you evere ridden the course near fairbult? cool to see all these mn riders coming up. We should try to set up a ride session sometime in the near future.:p

MonroeMike
04-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I hear an echo...

Thorpe
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I hear it too... What can we say, great minds think alike, and so do ours...

It was 2 differnt posts, that the mods put into one...

Bryan Raffa
04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
I hear it too... What can we say, great minds think alike, and so do ours...

It was 2 differnt posts, that the mods put into one...

try to refrain from doing that in the future..one post will keep the site cleaner, thank you

rdlsz24
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Haha it makes it look like you got drunk and posted pretty much the same thing an hour later in the same thread.

Rob

Thorpe
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Only had 2 beers... 1 to use as shim material, and 1 while doing the shimming... :beer
Maybe I am just a :postwhore

Autophysn
04-30-2009, 08:11 PM
That is funny as all hell, creative minds at their best LOL!