PDA

View Full Version : Fewwww!!!!!!

ThinktwiceZ71
04-29-2009, 04:17 PM
wow!! i rebuilt my motor and i broke it in correctly and it sounded great tons of power and so on. I took the valve cover off , retorqued the head bolts , and put the valve cover back on and redid the valve clearance . Well i turned it on today and i was like man that is loud in the head today so i turned it off. Checked the timing chain tensioner and it is still working. So i took the valve cover back off , and i checked the chain and the friggin bolts that hold the sprocket to the cam backed out some and it was loose. I am soo glad i took it off now , i almost trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro when i saw that. I knew it didn't sound right. I think what caused it was i forgot to put the top engine brace with the 3 bolts and nuts and it made the top vibrate and they backed out some. I rechecked my timing , but a little lock tight on the threads and installed , i let the locktight dry , and reinstalled the valve cover. INSTALLED the top engine mounts , bolts and nuts , and redid valve clearance . Turned it on and the noise is gone!

just wanted to vent / breathe a sigh of relief:eek:

anyone else have a brain fart that could of been horrible but you ended up catching it in time ?

threewheelin-feelin
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
the same exact thing happend to me one time on my 350x...but i wasnt so lucky...i kept thinking it was valves and i kept adjusting them...finally the cam broke but its all good now

Autophysn
04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Ha HA, no not on a trike, but plenty of experiences like that on cars and trucks. I always have been a seat of my pants and work off memory mechanic, so when I get that feeling, I do the same as you. Shut it down and double, triple, quadruple check it all over again. :)