PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down a 250R!!!!!!!! Be nice

Dirtcrasher
07-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Call me whatever you want but I've been on 250SX's for 5 years now - I need chain and sprockets for the 250R and wondered if different sized sprockets help tame this JET down a bit or help in the low end department. No, I haven't rode it but I know it's too fast and I want to work my way up. Everyone says the 85 250R has a lightswitch powerband up in the high revs, I want a chain setup to help out the lower revs and a reccomended silencer for it. Thank you!

bigred110
07-20-2003, 09:56 AM
Put duct tap over the carb. :D

Dirtcrasher
07-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Put duck tap over the carb. :D

How bout on your mouth!! J/K :-D

bigred110
07-20-2003, 10:07 AM
When you get it done take your time getting use to it. Find out how far you need to let the clucth out to find where the clutch grabs.
Me and my friend took some kid to go riding on his 250ex and he never driven a atv or atc with man. clutch. He was driving my friend 250r in a couple minutes. And the kid was like 15yrs old. He had his quad for about a month when we took him out.
So just take your time and more times you stall it trying to find the throttle position to get it moving, the better you'll be off.

Dirtcrasher
07-20-2003, 10:11 AM
No see the problem is I'm a complete idiot. I'll watch Bubba Stewart and get out there and go BONZAI so I need to tone it down a bit prior to easing up on the clutch or throttle. I had a hopped up 1994 CR250 that absolutely brought tears to my eyes and have ridden for 20 years - I just want to start out with a bit tamer power plant by jettting, silencer and chain and sprocket mods so someone here can help with that Im sure.Thanks

Maybe a smaller rear sprocket?? DG silencer??

MR ATC
07-20-2003, 10:17 AM
the best way to tame it down is to keep it stock. stock carb/jetting, stock air filter, stock pipe and silencer. if you change the gearing your just gonna move the power it has around. it will either be fast but require more clutch work to keep it in the meat of the powerband, or it will be powerfull and difficult to keep the front end down.

Dirtcrasher
07-20-2003, 10:42 AM
the best way to tame it down is to keep it stock. stock carb/jetting, stock air filter, stock pipe and silencer. if you change the gearing your just gonna move the power it has around. it will either be fast but require more clutch work to keep it in the meat of the powerband, or it will be powerfull and difficult to keep the front end down.

Hmm, didn't think of it that way - power is power and with lower gearing it'll be standing on end all day.

MR ATC I have cash - whats left of your inventory for 250R parts. Plastic? silencer? straight pegs? Thank you

bigred110
07-20-2003, 10:45 AM
You can make a restrictor plate, like nascar or put a rev limiter on it.

KASEY
07-20-2003, 11:05 AM
DIRTCRASHERyou are in control of the amount of power the bike has,,,,,, so maybe toning it down would be best controlled by your wrist and brain,,,,,, if you can't manage to refrain from going to fast i suggest putting an eye patch on one eye !!! when you loose all your depth perseption your mind will automaticlly reduce the size of your testicles!!!!
that way maybe you won't get hurt or crash as hard!!!!!! its the cheapest way i know to reduce injuries,,,,,,,,,, :D :D :D

Mike Fort Laud
07-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Let me understand this......You want to slow the bike down....Maybe you just need a slower bike to ride...

Dirtcrasher
07-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Let me understand this......You want to slow the bike down....Maybe you just need a slower bike to ride...

Boneheads need not reply, just want to take my time on it. Have had lots of fast bikes. Not ready for 85MPH

FullBore
07-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Keep it stock, The throttle works both ways you know.

AirManCam
07-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah man just keep it stock and dont gas it too much untill u get the hang of it.Your in control of how much power it has. Wanna sell it lol

Dirtcrasher
10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Just thought I'd bring this post back - I always heard how ungodly fast the 250R is even in stock form, and thats why when I knew I was getting one I posted this question. I must admit your all correct - keep it easy on the thumb throttle. I suddenly have no desire to ride any of my 250SX trikes as this THING is just incredible - it's so fast that it's hard to lay off the throttle beacause I've never gone this fast on 3 wheels before. But I do have some self control and have already learned that above everything else keep your weight forwards or kiss it goodbye!! This weekend I'm gonna run the backhoe and take a few feet and the steepness off some of my tracks larger jumps - I already hit my biggest one in just second gear but goosed it and I don't want to do that again. Thank god for the suspension on this thing. I'm gonna have to turn most of these into table tops or doubles. I'm leaving these half bald tires on until I get use to the power but all is well and I'm enjoying the ride with new found enthusiasm!!!

badtriz
10-28-2003, 07:17 PM
why dont you just put a restriction on the throttle cable so it wont go as fast then you can adjust it less and less as you get used to it

Dirtcrasher
10-28-2003, 07:44 PM
why dont you just put a restriction on the throttle cable so it wont go as fast then you can adjust it less and less as you get used to it

It's all good! My point of this was just that my initial fears were unfounded. It's crazy fast but pretty much manageable.

junjun01
10-28-2003, 08:34 PM
You Have Your Own Track & Backhoe ??...I Wanna B Like U When I Grow Up !! :D

'86X
10-28-2003, 11:37 PM
As soon as you get bored with that you can step up to a Banshee :D

Dirtcrasher
10-29-2003, 11:10 AM
You Have Your Own Track & Backhoe ??...I Wanna B Like U When I Grow Up !! :D

It only took me till I was 33!! And I need tools and a few gallons of hydraulic oil everytime I run that machine - it does the job though ;)

junjun01
10-29-2003, 11:16 AM
:shock: :D ;) :rolleyes:...Lucky

J.D.
10-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Just floor it ;) That's what I always do on a new machine MHAUHAHAHAHA!