PDA

View Full Version : Small engine noob - ATC 185S Stalling

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi all,

First post -- looks like a nice place. Unfortunately, I'm here by necessity. I have an '83 (all stock) Honda that's misbehaving. In response to idling issues, I cleaned out the carb and replaced all the little bits, needles, etc. Dumped the old gas, did an oil change, and figured I was ready to go. It now idles like a charm. Problem is, it stalls at full throttle. Sometimes, it recovers. Other times, I think it would quit completely, if I didn't ease off. It also completely lacks power in the highest gear. I find if I run at half-choke, the stalling issue goes away. I also replaced the muffler last year. I'm now wondering if the issue is with the carb or perhaps an improper seal in the exhaust system.

Any thoughts sincerely appreciated!

MTS
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
you happen to to a inline fuel filter in? almost sounds like something is floating around in the bowl, clogin the jets up, iv seen main jets rattle out before too, kinda hard to diagnose without seeing, where bouts in the prov are ya?

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
No inline filter. I did clean up the stock filter. Had a little bit of rust but nothing serious. Swished out the tank as well as I could before adding fresh fuel. I'm just North of Stony Plain.

MTS
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
it stall when you roll on the throttle? or just when you wack it?

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
The latter. It also seems to bleed power at high speed/high gear.

MTS
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
seems to be quite common, what are you running for jets in it? did you replace them when you did everything else?

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Yup -- Shindy.

MTS
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
what notch is your e clip on the needle at? and you got a clean airfilter? i know some of them carb kits come with diffrent size's, wonder if you didnt stick a real small main in it? mine i ended up running a open air filter and exaust, cleard it up,

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey MTS,

The jets look identical to oem. Filter is the original. Cleaned, but original. Clip is in the second notch. I tried running it without a filter, but that didn't make any difference. Appreciate the thought you're putting into this!

MonroeMike
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
First post -- looks like a nice place. Unfortunately, I'm here by necessity

Welcome. You will find that this place is addicting. You might just find yourself coming back, even when you don't need too...

MTS
04-27-2009, 03:13 PM
its too bad your cant get different slide's for them, might be something you have to live with, the no power in top gear seems odd, it should keep pulling, noodle scratcher....

Gone Fishin'
04-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Nudge. Anyone?:(

MTS
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
you got a pm ;)