PDA

View Full Version : Who polishes there own parts?

kilabeez0
07-20-2003, 02:08 AM
Someone mentioned putting colored buffing wheels on their bench grinder. How well do these work and how many wheels do u need? I'm familiar with wet sanding so I know u start with a harsh grit and get finer, so what do u start with for wheels? And where do you buy them? will home depot have them?

Xowner
07-20-2003, 02:33 AM
blazzor was the one that mention the wheels i belive it was in that one guys project pics i was also wondering the same so we will see how it urns out!!!

BLAZERONE22
07-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Their made by nyalox. they work good for me, I use red and the blue one. I'm pretty sure home depot sells them, I use mine on my drill press.

kilabeez0
07-20-2003, 12:14 PM
when their all polished do u clear coat them so they dont rust?

TeCaTe_MaN
07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
I have always polished my parts with a dremel tool...and no you dont need to clearcoat things but you can....aluminum doesnt need clearcoat but steel will rust bad if you dont clearcoat or protect in some way...and if your looking to polish something big...dont use it you will die collapsed over your dremel and only be half done. Using a dremel takes FOREVER it took me 4 hours to sand, sand finer, clean, polish, clean, and polish again the little cover on a thumb throttleand o have done my front brake and clutch lever (took me all night) and i am gonna get some coffee for my rear brake lever :shock: so use a dremel on throttle covers, bolts/screws, engine mount brackets, sprockets, kill switches, teenie stuff like that :)

85' Tecate

kilabeez0
07-20-2003, 11:26 PM
and if your looking to polish something big...dont use it you will die collapsed over your dremel and only be half done. Using a dremel takes FOREVER

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What are my forks made out of?

BLAZERONE22
07-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Their aluminum. try those nylox wheels, they work.

BIG BORE 110
07-21-2003, 10:29 PM
I do all my stuff on my own why pay some 1.