PDA

View Full Version : installed brand new stator/flywheel runs 30ft dies (tecate)

kasuki
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
i bought a brand new ricky stator flywheel an stator.i installed them last weekend trike started right up i lined up the markes on the timming plate to the case.took the trike out for a ride carb seemed rich up top i had a 300 main in it .well i was on my way back down the street the trike just stoped running.so i pushed it home 40 yards i jumped back on kicked it over an fired back up runs for about 1 min then dies this has been going ever since.i tryed two different carbs i think it is electrical.i have a tone of time an money in this dam thing.i just wanna ride it.it will be 4 years on the 29th since the build began im just burned out of it.im starting to lose intrest in it an i never trail rode it i wanna get the new carb but i keep dumping money in an it never runs right.so to day i go out pull the flywheel turn the timming plate to the left of the case mark about 1/4 inch as another post did using the same set up trike starts right up.i ride about 25 yards dies,kick it over fires up ride about the same an dies.what should i do i have a manual but im stumped im not really sure how to test the electrical stuff.i am running a tether kill switch coul this be a problem.

KASEY
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
i have a very low opinion of ricky stator..... sounds like you have a ground problem,,, check all the wiring and make sure your kill switch is working properly,,

junkster
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I just used a kx250 ignition on mine ... found a scrapped out bike ... $25.00 .... saved me $$$$$ ...

99gsxr750
04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I just used a kx250 ignition on mine ... found a scrapped out bike ... $25.00 .... saved me $$$$$ ...

Same here. It was on the trike when I bought it.

04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
you may try to get an inexpensive inline spark tester, start it up with tester installed, and watch for loss of spark when it dies.

Maico
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds more like a CDI or coil issue. I've never had a single issue with Ricky Stator stuff.

Did you time it??

fabiodriven
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
What you are describing sounds just like what my 85 did when the stator died. Strange, though, as you obviously just changed yours.

Have some patients with the trike. It's not the trike's fault that it's not running right. I get aggrivated sometimes too, but just put the wrenches down for the day and sleep on it. I can't even count how many times I've fixed things in my sleep, literally.

I've got Ricky Stator stuff on mine and never had a problem.

Tecate 50
04-27-2009, 04:10 AM
Try swapping out the CDI box, had an issue this weekend in Oklahoma with my 85 Tecate. Swapped the CDI and it ran perfect. I was always under the impression that if a CDI goes out, its completely out and the bike won't run. Not the case with mine. Just a thought....good luck!

Tecate250
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Are you sure the key way did not break. Mine broke one day and would still start but could no go anywhere. Its the cheapest fix.

kasuki
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
na the key is good i checked .does anyone have a pic of how they wired there tecate with out the factory kill switch maybe im doing something wong.im not running my head lights right now either.the hook up is there tapped off.

Tecate250
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Kill switch should not be the problem. It would not run at all. Mabey its your coil? Brakeing down after it gets hot?

Rawlins350x
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
i had to change a stator cover once and had a similar problem. I took the cover back off and found that I didn't have the stator wires properly routed and they were grounding out to the flywheel.

Just something to check....

cr480r
04-30-2009, 02:47 AM
fuel petcock?

kasuki
06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
i checked the timming today seems to be good i bought a good cdi the other day so i know thats good.i have a new stator an fly wheel do i need to clean up the frame where the cdi goes for ground or does it ground thru the bolts.i got the trike to run good once got it into 3rd felt like it had good power i try to down shift an died.kick it back over fired right back up .i have tons of time an money in this thing its to the point now where i really might just sell it .

dcreel
06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I know its a long shot.. but is your fuel cap venting? Do you have balck fuel line or clear line from the tank to the carb? Do you have a fuel filter in line? What I am getting at is that when it quits is it running out of fuel momentarily? If you had a clear 1/4" fuel filter, when it quits it would be dry if there was a problem.

Find someone close to you with a Tecate thats interested in helping swap parts off a running bike. I would.. but I am in Kansas..

Just a thought.. Good luck.

shadix518
06-07-2009, 01:19 AM
deceakl where at in Kansas you at?

dcreel
06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Coffeyville

nd4speed
06-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Sounds kinda like when my stator crapped out. It would run for a minute or two or 5 then just die like it was out of gas, but would start first kick every time. Parked it for the winter. I tried new carbs and it would not even start. As soon as I put a KX250 ignition on it, fired right away. I have yet to ride it and tune the carb and check to see if the crank seal is bad.