PDA

View Full Version : New trike, new to desert toys

Primera
04-25-2009, 09:40 PM
So I picked up this tecate 3 from a friend but he wasnt able to tell me anything about it. So searching I believe I have narrowed it down to be an 84 from the front drum brake but with a rear axle from something else. Can some one confirm that for me from the photos since I don't have much clue what to look for. It also seems to have a number of problems which doesnt bother me since Im sure its a hella lot easier to fix than a car. I think the engine is a kx250 since its in the vin on the case. But it does not seem to want to run very well, and takes like 30 kicks to get running for short time that it will. Bet thats just a dirty carb tho right? Also it doesnt have an airfilter, I read somewhere that it wont run very well, could someone explain that to me and guide me to where I can order one? Thanks! I look forward to screaming throught the desert on this baby!

Yamaha_Rules69
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Its an 84 if it has the drum brakes. Sounds like the pilot jet is clogged to me. Take the carb apart, and there is a jet that gets removed with a standard (small) screwdriver. Take apart and clean the carb by spraying the jets and carb body with carb cleaner, and blow it out with compressed air if you didnt know that. Start from there. They are known for having cdi/stator/flywheel magnets goming loose, I have learned from experience. They are screaming fast when working good, and will scare just about any rider on command or not. They are a great machine as far as my opinion goes. GOOD LUCK

Primera
04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Cool thanks for the advice. I now have fixed that and found another issue, I cannot get the clutch to disengage. I tried using a wrench to turn it further than the the cable will pull it and no good. Im gonna crack it open tomorrow to see what I need to do. Any ideas/suggestions?