PDA

View Full Version : Bush Bike Meets Race Bike?

Silverado
04-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I currently have a 185cc and a 200cc both hondas.

I am looking for a larger ATC, the 250 or 350 versions. Now this is where I am confused and need some advice

I see 250R all over the place, and rarely see 250sx, I am going to be using my bike for the Bush, for hunting and hauling deer out of the bush...what is the difference between the 250r and 250sx ? if one is for racing will it still have power to work in the bush? on trails ?and haul me and the deer our ?

a 350x would be awesome I'm sure it could do it no problem.

Macs
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
The 250r is a 2 stroke, race bred machine. You could use it for the bush, but it wouldnt be ideal. The sx is a 4 stroke, shaft driven utility type, but is also a great trail machine. I would look for a sx or es. For hauling deer the clutch would get annoying. So i would steer clear of the 250r, 200x, 350x

Tri-Z 250
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I would recomend the Big Red w/ a HI-LO gearbox Yes the SX is more sporty and could do some haullin...It's not totally setup in stock trim with racks, I'm sure after market could help you out. Lots of guys have Big Reds setup for hunting and seem to enjoy them for trail rides

Silverado
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I will search for a 250sx or 250es you just saved me a 4 hour drive this weekend.

I am not a motor head so I do not understand what a 350x would not be good. 350cc is a lot of power compared to my little 185cc, more power = easier to haul weight and stuff out of the bush and on trails?

Silverado
04-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes I have the racks for both my 200 and 185, I really enjoy the 3 wheelers for their light weight, they fit perfect in the back of my truck, are always head turners. I'm not sure why the 250sx and 250es are such elusive beasts. I think it must be my area ( toronto, ontario Canada) too many people who don't like to get out there and have fun!

plastikosmd
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Power is nice, but useable power is better. Gearing is what it comes down too. My 200es is only 13.5 hp where my 250r is pushin 40. There is no way in heck I would use the R in the woods. The 200 just grunts along and pulls/hauls/tows what I need it too. The advantage, as mentioned above, of no clutch but gear control is very nice for the real 'woods' work. I get it out on some pretty tough to navigate stuff, hoppin logs, rocks, stumps etc. For me, I like the high/low gearbox and the light weight. Later models have more power/weight and from what the guys say here, are geared just fine so the high/low is not a dealbreaker. For me it is the best woods machine I've used (besides a Rokon.) If I spent more time on bigger trails, or dirt roads I could see that a suspension bike may be more handy.

Silverado
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow...I never knew what a Rokon was, interesting little toy, I think I might have to buy one of those as well! I never knew they made things like that.

Ok I am looking at a yamaha 225dx for $900 today after work. Are there any letter and such I should look for to see if it is a racing bike or a bush/trail bike

1BFC
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok I am looking at a yamaha 225dx for $900 today after work.

I've never liked the 225dx. It may be a personal choice thing, but I'd seriously try and stick with a Honda in the type of machine you are looking for. You'll get parts easier and the Honda machines are just over all better when it comes to woods/work bikes.

IMO of course.

atctim
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I think a 225 DX would be a perfect machine for what you are looking for and have described - even though it is not a Honda. Be sure all the bearings are good - check the oil for cleanliness and capacity (good measure for how well it was cared for) - and be sure it starts easy and idles fine. Would make a great bush bike in my opinion - price sounds good too - Canadian of coarse!

chris200x
04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
the 225 is basically a yamaha version of the honda 250sx (more or less) the 225DR has reverse I believe. Definitly better for hauling deer than say a 250r or tri z. $900 seems kinda steep for around here.. depending on it's condition.

The 350x is a great trail bike but is geared more for sport riding than anything.

plastikosmd
04-21-2009, 05:03 PM
rokon is the best damn woods bike. 1st gear you just walk along with it, hardly moving..will climb or hop anything with 2 wheels driving. it will go about anywhere...hollow rims that you can fill up with fuel if needed or water..or just use them to float the bike.

ok back to ATC's, no experience with the yamaha but have heard some good things, esp about more rearward engine allowing you to hop over things a bit easier.