PDA

View Full Version : need help with my cam

Mudder F er
07-19-2003, 12:40 PM
attached is a picture of my cam off an 85 200X. I want to know if the back peice is the cam bushing. If so is it suppose to rotate? And how can I remove it without damaging the cam. It's on there pretty tight. And how bad does the cam have to be to replace it? Thanks I'm doing this for the first time with some help from clymer.

bakeban
07-19-2003, 02:19 PM
that bushing should come right off there no problem. the bushing should not rotate. it has a like a dowl thing on it that slips into a hole in thehead. i bet it broke off in the head if it is not there. that cam is no good if that bushing is siezed on there. hope that helps. that sucks by the way :evil:

kilabeez0
07-19-2003, 04:56 PM
i THINK my motor ran fine, and my cam's bushing doesn't move...i dont think. i'll have to go check downstairs.

Mudder F er
07-19-2003, 05:51 PM
I do think that is the problem. I have a complete xr200r top end that I'm going to swap, but the cam on that one does'nt look that good, and is missing the bushing. Does any one know where I can get a good cam and bushing. Thanks

kilabeez0
07-20-2003, 02:12 AM
I checked my cam, and the bushing rotates fine, but doesn't pull off. I think bakeban doesn't know what he's talking about. Either that or you and i have the same problem......i'm putting my money on bakeban doesn't know wut he's talking about.

jeswinehart
07-20-2003, 08:02 AM
the bushing is supposed to come right off. if it don't and it spins freely,,,
ummm okay,,, but the end must be slightly burred on the cam cuz they should slide right off.

john

bakeban
07-20-2003, 09:30 AM
the bushing is supposed to come right off. if it don't and it spins freely,,,
ummm okay,,, but the end must be slightly burred on the cam cuz they should slide right off.

john

thank you. i do know what i am talking about

Howdy
07-20-2003, 11:19 AM
I checked my cam, and the bushing rotates fine, but doesn't pull off. I think bakeban doesn't know what he's talking about. Either that or you and i have the same problem......i'm putting my money on bakeban doesn't know wut he's talking about.

Bakeban is 100% correct. The cam bearing is suppost to slide right off. If it turns but don't slide off it has been run without enough oil getting to it at some point. I have never seen a good cam that the bearing didn't slide off. The cam will need to be replaced. I don't know of any fixes at all for it.

Why?? What happens most of the time is someone will rebuild the top end and not knowingly plug the oil port. The starves the top end of oil and the cam bearing is the first thing to fry.
The other possibilities:
#1 Someone removed the clutch cover and got dirt in the little oil port for the head there.
#2 Or they just ran the motor low on oil all together.
#3 The oil pump went bad or not driven correctly.

Howdy

kilabeez0
07-20-2003, 12:22 PM
DOH!!! My bad, I had a feeling I was talking out of my ass. Sorry guys. The one I checked, the whole motor has been beat pretty bad. I should've kept my mouth shut! O well, I guess I'll just upgrade the cam :twisted:

bakeban
07-20-2003, 10:25 PM
that is alright no hard feelings there guy. thanks howdy :D