PDA

View Full Version : 87 200x camshaft?

FoxRider001
04-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I recently just purchased a very nice 87 200x, but the camshaft is shot. How much work is that gona be, should i try to do it or have my mechanic do it for me?

harryredtrike
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
this is so easy,do it yourself.you dont have to disassemble the motor or anything.ive seen camshafts on e bay,new never used for 57.00.pull your cdi cover off then the spacer,then your cam gear,dont let chain fall into crank use hanger or wire and tie off.your at 6 bolts total.piece of cake 15 minutes.

FoxRider001
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
alright thanks alot man.

Yamada
04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't think it's normal that a cam shaft break. Or are the lobe worn? Are you sure there is oil pressure to the head?.

MonroeMike
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
First, get the manual, follow it step by step to remove the cam. I've done it and have seen Harry do it quite a few times. It's not that hard.

If the cam journals are bad, good chance the head has problems. Don't just put a cam in there and expect it to be ok.

Before you pull the back of the pulsar housing off, remove the little dowel pin from the cam, or you will more than likely tear the seal. It's very small, don't lose it.

There's a reason it went bad, like Yamada mentioned, check to make sure oil is getting to the head. If it was just redone before you bought it, the person before you may have forgotten the O ring that makes the oil travel up the head.

Dirtcrasher
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
All of these motors have to be kept full of oil that gets changed often. And every 2 or 3 oil changes you guys need to clean the oil filter rotor and the oil screen both located under the clutch cover.

I have bought a couple of beat 86/87 200X motors. When the cam goes, the head is junk along with both rocker arm journals and the offset shafts themselves. Your really gonna have to dive right into it and see whats up....

Honestly, I find most of the oil pumps to be good, it's just that people don't change the oil and the head suffers.

FoxRider001
04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
ok, ill make sure to check it all out.

Erics350x
04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
this is so easy,do it yourself.you dont have to disassemble the motor or anything.ive seen camshafts on e bay,new never used for 57.00.pull your cdi cover off then the spacer,then your cam gear,dont let chain fall into crank use hanger or wire and tie off.your at 6 bolts total.piece of cake 15 minutes.

That would be true if he owned a 83-85 but, its a 87. You will have to remove the top of the ebgine but its easy. Do a search on here for service manual download and download a manual for the 86-87. Those cheap ebay cams wont fit your since they are for the 83-85's. Your best bet is prolly used or aftermarket like web cams, hot cams, ect..