PDA

View Full Version : 1984 honda 200es big red????

rugman316
04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Wondering if anybody could help me out. I have a 1984 big red that hesitates when you give it throttle quickly unless the choke is on slightly. It starts and idles great. The carburetor is brand new and set correctly and the machine is fully warmed up. The air filter is also good and it has good compression. Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

danpalms15
04-19-2009, 08:25 PM
still sounds like a carb problem, if you have to put teh choke on slightly to get more gas, that means when the choke is off youare getting to much air and not enough gas. i would check the pilot screw adjustment and make sure you have the right main jet, what kind of carb is it, stock?

rugman316
04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
It is an after market one I got off ebay but it did the same thing with the old carb on it that is why I decided to try a new one. I put the pilot screw at every possible setting and no real improvement.

danpalms15
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
hmm try this, turn the pilot screw all the way in, then turn it about 2 turns out, thats where mine is on my atc 185s. and for the needle, im pretty sure teh little clip on it has to go in the middle, try those things, also did u check for spark, make sure its good and u get it everytime you pull.

do yuo have a new plug?

rugman316
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Everything on the carb is set to factory and the spark plug is new. I am starting to think the problem might be electrical because I have tried everything carb related. It will run and idle all day but I just can't find what is causing the hesitation. I also tried a different cdi box off another machine and no change could it maybe be the coil or spark plug wire?

danpalms15
04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
it very well could be, did you check for spark each time you pulled it over?

rebel33382
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
check your gas cap,make sure it is well vented and make sure you dont have a pin hole leak in your fuel line!

rugman316
04-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Tried it with the gas cap off no change.The fuel line is new and there is good gas flow to carb.

Taiser
04-20-2009, 07:55 AM
she's too lean. Fire off some carb cleaner around the carb when she's idling, if it speeds up, you got a leak somewhere, probably in the manifold, then go from there. Might be electrical, but doubtful.

rugman316
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
The two O-rings are good but maybe the manifold is cracked. Would spraying wd-40 work the same?

atctim
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Could it be valve related? Have you checked the valves for proper clearance?

rugman316
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
The valves were set not that long ago with no change. I have tried a million things but can't seem to find the problem. I am going to spray every possible place for air leak. Maybe head gasket? Compression is 150.

oscarmayer
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
yea wd-40 shoudl work. the liquid will seal the hole causing it to idle faster for a moment before it sucked the liquid in.

rugman316
04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I ended up using carb cleaner and sprayed everywhere no change in the idle. Anybody have any other suggestions to try?

puggerton03
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
i have the same problem right now. more suggestions please.

tri again
04-06-2010, 06:45 AM
girls trike had the same issue.

Never set the timing but I guess it was time since I tried everything else a hundred times.

Popped the flywheel screwcap, hooked up a timing light and proceeded to get covered with oil when it started.
Guess that's not the recommended way.

Put the timing cover plug back in and pulled the cover marked 'cdi'.

Scratched a mark in the base plate and casing so I knew where it WAS before fooling with it in case of catastrophic failure,

Loosened the screws and while it was running, ever so slightly rotated the base plate.

I forget which way I moved it but it idled a little faster.
Turned the idle down with the idle screw and it ran great.

so I put the cover back on and it's been fine ever since. like over a year now.

Starting great, idling after a short warmup and goes good enough to drag logs so I guess the timing is ok.

I'm just a little concerned that I may be compensating for a lightly stretched timing chain altho its not noisy.

aahhh well, one more that starts, idles, runs and pulls like a mule.

Only 3 more to go before the dunes trip.

Daniel 250es
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Just my 2 cents. I think alot of people pin or punch the throttle to quik and expect no hesitation. I have purchased new 4 stroke hondas and they bogged when pinnned real fast from idle. I have seen alot of 4 strokes bog when throttle was hit very fast from idle. But does not bog when pinned while the rpms are still high. Anyone else think it is just characteristics of 4 strokes?