PDA

View Full Version : 250ES brakes

Superduck
04-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Looking at an 85 Big Red, but it needs brakes all the way around. How difficult of a job is this? I have a somewhat technical/mechancial apptitude, but no professional. I can get this thing on the cheap, just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head with the brake jobs. Also, is it easy to get brake parts?

Thanks in advance.

Final question: IF you could have one...which the girlfriend is gonna only let me have one :rolleyes: which would you rather have. 250ES or 200x. It's gonna be my everything bike.

Superduck
04-19-2009, 05:45 PM
bump.. Sorry to bump, but was hoping to get this answered tonight. I want to tell this guy I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow, and he doesn't live close (5 hours away).

hublake
04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I have done the brakes on my 85 BR and SX and had no problems. Depends somewhat on what it was run through before you got it. The 85 BR did not have the best sealing system on the rear brake. Getting parts is no problem. I prefer the BR to the 200x as I am more into the utility type. I have had my one BR since new. I now have another 85, 83, and a 84.

Superduck
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
hublake, thanks for the reply. I decided on the 250es. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. $450. I think it's a good price. In pretty good shape, just needs brakes and a battery. Told the gf I need to keep the 200s till I have the brakes done on the BR. Maybe somewhere in between there I can talk her in to letting me keep the 200s. My 200s is in mighty fine shape, I'd hate to sell her.

Name Brand
04-20-2009, 07:22 AM
That is a good price.
If you've ever swapped out brake shoes on an automotive style drum brake, you will find the drum brakes on most all ATC's are much, much simpler. Far less springs. Brake cables aren't hard to swap out either. Your Honda shop can sell you shoes and springs in a single package. Please do the front and rear brake.

I didn't think it was so bad; I pulled my rear drum off my SX and found out that both braking surfaces had delaminated from the shoes! They were probably the originals...

Maybe you could tell the GF the 200s is for her to ride?