PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 Katrina victim

Hayward
04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I came across a nice looking '85 ATC70 and was asked to repair since it was bathed by hurricane water almost 4 years ago. I took on the task knowing the piston was froze and this morning took it apart to find a rusty cylinder. I am not sure about the best way to remove this cylinder with the piston on about half stroke and the crank will not budge it. The biggest question ... what is it worth to rebuild this engine ? The rest of the trike looks good. Thanks for any advice here !

BigRed_Ryno
04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I saw someone post that Coca cola is good for freeing a rusted bore. Never tried it myself, but maybe worth a try? otherwise maybe heat it up?

AutoXer
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
why not go with one of the lifan motors 110 maybee :beer

Brockey
04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Coke does a good job. Pour it in and let it soak.

Macs
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I am rebuilding a hurricane ike victim currently. Mine got submerged in salt water. Every moving part on the whole bike is trashed. Did yours get the salt water or was it just the heavy rains?

krazykane
04-17-2009, 10:51 PM
tilt it up and spray some liquid wrench or some pb blast let it sit for a little while then i tap on it with a piece of wood or a rubber dead blow hammer .works everytime for me so far .

Macs
04-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I have tried every trick with mine, nothing budges it. I am going to have to split the cylinder to get it apart.

Hayward
04-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I am rebuilding a hurricane ike victim currently. Mine got submerged in salt water. Every moving part on the whole bike is trashed. Did yours get the salt water or was it just the heavy rains?

The man I'm repairing this trike for said it was 'brackish' water. From the looks of the rust in the cylinder, valves, and carb.(like it came in through the tank), I'd say there was not much fresh water involved. I went with the PB Blaster (no coke in the house) and have the trike standing on end soaking the piston. Thanks to all for the suggestions !!

pudge
04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
try marvel mystery oil in there for a few days

Nick_R_23
04-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Let some white vinegar sit in there for a few days. Once it frees rusted parts though, you have to spray it with WD40 or put a coat of oil on it to keep the rust from returning.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Hayward
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
why not go with one of the lifan motors 110 maybee :beer

Just what is a ' lifan motor' ? a company name? new or used ?

Fordfan7379
04-19-2009, 03:30 AM
I had an "oldtimer" tell me that sometimes brake fluid will free up a stuck piston! I have never personally tried it though. Just my 2 cents worth!
Tim

night4creeper
04-19-2009, 04:02 AM
if you try and try and cant get it to move. a piston is cheaper than a cylinder. blow the piston apart. you are most likely going to have to split the cases and replace the bearings anyway... but first i'd try heat and then soaking it in pb blaster as soon as you take the heat away, then smacking it with a hammer and piece of wood.

harryredtrike
04-19-2009, 06:11 AM
have some experience in submerged motors.the whole engine will have to be disassembled.all the bearings will be shot.crank,rod.ect.its not just getting piston free.this is a major undertaking.its not like a temporary submerge where the engine is started shortly after.if the motor is not worth all this,replace with lifan motor,good and cheap.trust me

Erics350x
04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Use a hammer, punch, and chisel to break the piston from the top. Most likely you are wasting you time on that engine.

JohnR.
04-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Just what is a ' lifan motor' ? a company name? new or used ?

Lifan is the brand. They make complete, ready to run bolt in engines for Honda horizontal single cylinder engines. Do a search for Lifan on ebay and you'll find a ton of results. Just make sure you get one with the electrics and carb. An electric start one is nice, it eliminates any problems you might have if the engine has a kickstart. You could always look for an ATC90, 110, or 125 engine too. I've seen complete, running ATC110's around here on Craigslist for under $300.

John

tri-Z ripper
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Lifan is the way if you dont wanna rebuild your whole engine!

Hayward
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all the help !!! I have freed and removed the piston using the PB Blaster and hammer handle after 2 days soaking. The bore is rusted on the top half and I intend on taking it to a machinist to see if it can be bored. The best I can tell, the bottom end seems o.k. Of course, the carb is in bad shape and valves are rusted to the head.