PDA

View Full Version : 300cc kit for 81-84 ATC250R?

hoser
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi
I am looking for any and all info on the Honda factory 300cc kit they sold for the 81-84 ATC250R's

I bought one and wanted to learn all I can about them before I install it on my 83 ATC250R, will be running the stock 83 pipe.. I have installed a carb off a 85 ATC250R.

Thanks in advance.

1upfront
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Did you get a NOS kit with the cast piston or is it converted to a modern wiseco piston? They are a great kit I recommend using an fl350 intake boot, 36mm pwk, thin reed spacer & vf3 reeds.
Are you a member on airfoolers.com if not join up there's alot of info on these over there.

Saul
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
welcome to the 300 club. Hang on tight - your ride is about to become a little hairy.

Ditch that stock pipe ASAP - it will most certainly be the bottleneck of your setup. Like 1upfront suggested - 36mm carb, vforce3 reeds, free flowing air filter - you'll be hauling serious a** for sure.

Before you start cracking on the engine make sure to jet it really fat and work your way back with smaller jets until you get a good crisp throttle response all through the powerband - then step up a size on the main jet for safe measure.

And - if you get a chance pop over to airfoolers.com and say hello. Might be a few things over there you may be interested in.

Good luck friend - airfoolers rule!

hoser
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I have tried 4 different after market pipes on my 250R since I bought it new I keep going back to the stock pipe IMO you cant beat it, the only use I found the other pipes for was riding in the snow or for drag racing.

With the stock pipe I can ease out on the clutch without touching the throttle then once rolling hammer it wot and climb a near vertical hill 500' tall, with the after market pipes I am riding the clutch all the way...

It comes with a good used ART piston and a new ART piston, I wont be running any cheap low quality weak siezco crapola in my engines :-)

Thanks for the info, anybody else their has to be more :-)

Saul
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info, anybody else their has to be more :-)

we got almost 10 members currently riding 300R's over at foolers forum - so it's just a matter of looking around if you want more info.

And your stock pipe is still gunna be a HUGE bottle neck in your system - but thats your choice, you seem determined to run it so more power to you.

ATC4ever!
04-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Hoser you have 2 of the authorities on 300cc big bore ATC kits, listen to them. And if you don't beleive me do a search on 3WW "300cc big bore kit" and watch 1upfront video.......nuf said!!!! Get rid of that stock pipe like Saul said, put your crotch on the gas tank and let go of that clutch and see how that after maket pipe is better.....lol

hoser
04-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Hoser you have 2 of the authorities on 300cc big bore ATC kits, listen to them. And if you don't beleive me do a search on 3WW "300cc big bore kit" and watch 1upfront video.......nuf said!!!! Get rid of that stock pipe like Saul said, put your crotch on the gas tank and let go of that clutch and see how that after maket pipe is better.....lol

I have no doubt they know their stuff about this engine but before I go to another pipe I will have to ride someones 300 that has the pipe they want me to buy, since I bought my 83 250R new I have bought 4 different pipes for it and always go back to the stock pipe, I just took a like new FMF FATTY pipe off my 86 TRX250R and installed a like new stock pipe in its place, the FATTY makes wonderful power and has a great power ban the only problem is when it falls off the pipe you either have to drop 2-3 gears or clutch it and rev the snot out of it to get back on the pipe, I spend most my time shifting not riding:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

cr480r
04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
since I bought my 83 250R new I have bought 4 different pipes for it and always go back to the stock pipe, I just took a like new FMF FATTY pipe off my 86 TRX250R and installed a like new stock pipe in its place, the FATTY makes wonderful power and has a great power ban the only problem is when it falls off the pipe you either have to drop 2-3 gears or clutch it and rev the snot out of it to get back on the pipe, I spend most my time shifting not riding

Have you ever considered getting a 4-stroke???

hoser
04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Have you ever considered getting a 4-stroke???

I have a 400EX, I like the power ban of my ATC250R better it pulls harder from bottom to top:p

Any good used stock 83-84 ATC250R pipes out their for sale? I want to mod one to try with the 300cc kit, have you guys ever seen the inside of a stock pipe?

If you take a 1/16 or even a 1/8" cut wheel and split the pipe length ways along the spot welded seam you can separate the main body of the pipe, once you have it opened up you will find expanded metal and high density fiberglass insulation about 3/8" thick they use the expanded metal to hold the fiber glass into place, this keeps the pipes quiet, if you remove the expanded metal and insulation and then weld the pipe back together it really wakes it up, this adds volume to the pipe, I assume this would help the 300cc big bore.

I did this pipe mod on my Honda Pilot back when I raced the "stock" class, it made a huge difference in performance yet nobody ever caught on it was not 'stock' .

hoser
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Here is a thread I post on my site about the Factory Honda 300cc kit for the 81-84 ATC250R

You can view it as a visitor but have to be logged in to reply.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5403