PDA

View Full Version : Replacing an 85 250R water pump seal...

i58829
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Ok i'm 99% sure the water pump seal went south on my 250r, i had water in the bottom end after riding it for about 20 minutes a couple weeks ago. It's not lacking power, burning coolant, or causing any issues that would make me think it's a top end issue.

So anyway i have a gasket kit, but i need to buy the seal, does honda still have them? Also can i replace this with the motor in the frame? I'd hate to have to yank it out but i got the motor back in the X so i guess they can change places in the garage. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, TC...

Dammit!
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda still had everything last time I needed them. You don't need to pull the motor. You have to remove the pipe and clutch cover though.

I get water in my bottom end everytime I wash my R. I thought it was coolant for a while but I'm positive now it's getting in when I wash it. I've narrowed it down to the o-ring on the oil cap or the seal for the clutch actuator.

i58829
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help i'll try to dig up the part numbers later today, i think i'll just buy oem and hopefully it will do the trick. I'm pretty sure mine is the water pump because the bolt on the water pump cover had a little dirt stuck on it (like coolant was seeping) and i drained the oil before the first ride this year and only rode about 20 minutes before it was discolored. Thanks again, TC...

wolfspider
04-15-2009, 04:39 AM
the water pump seal is a quite easy to damage so take your time because its an expensive part to mess up on. there is a little hole on the bottom of the waterpump/clutch cover that leaks water when the seal has gone.