PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to clean the inside of a pipe?

VenomRS4
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I want to bead blast and jet coat my dyno port pipe. There is some rust on the outside so there may be some on the inside. How do I clean it? Or is that a lost cause?

joe_f7
04-13-2009, 06:45 PM
well it should have carbon on the inside which should prevent rust. unless it has been sitting around on a bench for years i would say it wouldn't have rust in it. also when they bake the coating on your pipe this will loosen up any carbon and it will help to clean it out.

the tecate kid
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
when i had my bassani chromed it had to be spotless inside and out. i took it to a place in cincinnati and they dipped it into a tank of chemical stripper. it looked brand new, i almost hated to chrome it. almost.

Tecate250
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I clean my pipes and silencers with heat. Just not to hot. I put my silencers in the wood stove then put them out side and watch all the smoke come out. Takes a few trys.

RAGDOLL MX
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
easy off oven cleaner..spray in and let it soak, then wash it out

nd4speed
04-14-2009, 06:56 AM
I bet muriatic (hydrochloric) acid would work. You can buy at Home Depot to clean concrete or other stuff.

Applications
Hydrochloric acid is a common laboratory reagent.

Hydrochloric acid is a strong inorganic acid that is used in many industrial processes. The application often determines the required product quality.[3]

[edit] Pickling of steel

One of the most important applications of hydrochloric acid is in the pickling of steel, to remove rust or iron oxide scale from iron or steel before subsequent processing, such as extrusion, rolling, galvanizing, and other techniques.[3][5] Technical quality HCl at typically 18% concentration is the most commonly used pickling agent for the pickling of carbon steel grades.

Other

Hydrochloric acid is used for a large number of small-scale applications, such as leather processing, household cleaning,[12] and building construction.[5] Oil production may be stimulated by injecting hydrochloric acid into the rock formation of an oil well, dissolving a portion of the rock, and creating a large-pore structure. Oil well acidizing is a common process in the North Sea oil production industry.[3]

aaron7
04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
I use pipe cleaners, but be sure to save the resin for later.

Wait, what are we talking about? :p