PDA

View Full Version : 83 atc 250r build

freestylejunki3
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I am working on restoring this 83 250r that i got for free. I have the frame, swing arm, forks (in great condition) as well as the seat a rusted tank tank and eat up fender. It also came with the front hub and a bent rear axle. Do you guys think it would be possible to heat up the rear axle and straighten in or should i just get a new one? Plus, i have a whole box of engine parts. I was thinking about just getting an complete 84 R engine to drop in it but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to just put all new bearings in the bottom end and get a new top end for it. Let me know what you think. P.S. I'm just a college kid with a very limited budget . I have been riding my 250sx since i was 5 and have always drooled over the 250r. I have a very limited budget so this will probably be a piece by piece build project. Any suggestions or good sites to get cheap parts? btw, will the bearing carrier and axle from an 85/86 R fit this

Yamaha_Rules69
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I dont know about that axle straightening idea, the fact that you might not be able to get it straight anyway, and by heating it, you may weaken it. You should be able to find a bottom end somewhere. i have heard the 81-84 250R's all use the same bottom end, except the 81-82 are red in color. Maybe someonecan verify this for sure.... On the other hand, if you install new bearrings in the motor, you know you have new parts, and wont have to worry about buying a junk bottom end, and the longevity of it will be greatly increased than one with 25 year old bearrings. Just my .02. You could probably get a bottom end foro cheaper than it would cost to buy the parts and have a mechanis install them (UNLESS you do it yourself and have the right tools)

aaron7
04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-Honda-ATC-250r-Original-Engine-Power-Plant-AIRCOOLED_W0QQitemZ180340975307QQihZ008QQcategoryZ 43977QQssPageNameZWDVWQQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

Get that :D

aaron7
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh, and no, 85/86 R shares almost no parts with the earlier ones. Bearing carrier, motor, etc is all different.

Dammit!
04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Any machine shop should be able to straighten that axle. You don't heat it. They just use a hydraulic press and a gauge. It might not be perfect but it will be usable. None of my trikes have perfectly straight rear axles.

Brad200X
04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with Yamaha Rules: Go through the bottom end that you have and replace bad bearings and all the seals, for peace of mind and reliability. It cost me around $450 to rebuild my '81 engine, and I replaced every bearing and seal, with a new rod and piston. Only thing I didn't have to replace was the clutches. If your gonna buy a new bottom end, '81-'82 will work, but you'll have to use the '83 shifter shaft. Check out this site for all the info you'll ever want to know about aircooled 250R's: Airfoolers.com

Dirtcrasher
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
2nd vote on the hyd press for the axle. Heat didn't bend it and heat isn't needed to get it back straight again.....

freestylejunki3
04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
will the front wheel from an 85 fit on the 83 spindle?