PDA

View Full Version : 125m engine rebuilt, now its wiring fun

Zak125m
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
So, before the thing went to hell I was having a lot of fun on it, and decided it wouldn't be too hard to get it back to running condition again. Thanks to this site I got all the torque specs for the engine, and I just finally got the top end rebuilt. Thinking I could get an aftermarket gasket kit with all the stuff I needed, turned out I was wrong. Had to get a few special pieces from the honda dealer. So after 2 weeks I finally am going to get the last gasket I need tonight, which is the one for the cover above the spark plug that holds the rocker arm dowels in place. (I figure replace em all because as far as I know they are all 25 years old)

So now that the engine is 99% put back together, I wanted to move onto solving my wiring problems. Right before the head gasket started to go the starter motor stopped working and the neutral light wont come on until i start it, and when it is started it just flickers and the tail light flickers too, but I can pull it over and it starts up. I think I've narrowed it down to the wiring underneath the headlight. I think I can figure this out just using an ohm meter and ringing it out, or so I hope.

But my real concern is the key/ignition switch. It was gutted out and mangled so I took it off and it really needs to be replaced now, it pretty much fell apart. It looks like it acts as 2 switches in 1 where it either crosses the red and yellow wire to start it, and to kill it, it connects the green and the black wire. I checked for an OEM key switch for it but they want 80+ dollars and I was wondering what alternatives I could do cheaply besides sitting and waiting for one on ebay? Or are there different makes and models I can look for one off of?

When I get this thing all put back together I'll post a few pics, its ugly but i'm hoping she'll go when I put the engine back in.

oscarmayer
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
check my sig out, i have manuals, and articles about fixing weird stuff.