PDA

View Full Version : Lack of power under load...

04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
So, if this were a car, I would say that the timing is off.

New spark plug. Gas could be bad, it's left over from last summer (the can I use for the lawnmower). Cleaned up carb, even tuned it as best I could (it only has one spot to tune, right?).
The only thing I didn't pull from it when I pulled the carb apart was the float assymbly. That needle that it presses on moves freely as far as I could tell.

KLT200 4 stroke kawasaki.

thanks in advance

Thorpe
04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Put fresh gas in it. Pull the bowl back off, pop the float out and check for gunk at the needle and where it seats (up inside) there should be 3 adjustments on your carb. The needle that is on the slide, your high speed needle and your low speed needle... Dont know on that particular model where those settings are suppose to be, but sound like a carb problem to me...

honda_atc200es
04-12-2009, 02:43 AM
it could be the timing (maybe i am biased because i just had a timing issue) i know my bike idled just fine but as soon as i gave it more than 1/3 throttle it had no power

CRAZY70MAN
04-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda man here but would guess it to be carb issue.As thorpe said, pull carb off and SOAK in carb cleaner for a day before actual cleaning. Sounds to me as if main jet is the problem, it only takes a tiny tiny particle of dirt to jack up your carb! Try a fuel filter on it with fresh gas.

04-14-2009, 11:43 PM
it could be the timing (maybe i am biased because i just had a timing issue) i know my bike idled just fine but as soon as i gave it more than 1/3 throttle it had no power

Okay.. So how do you adjust the timing on these things? I have no clue how to advance to retard the timing? Is it controlled by the little black box on these Kawasaki KLT's?

Thorpe
04-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Tear the carb back apart, reclean, and reset your adjustments. Dont monkey with the timing till you can rule out the carb being the problem. You dont want to compound your problems by messing with more than 1 thing at a time... Did it run right before? Last summer? Ever?

04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
The last time it ran before I got ahold of it was about 20 years ago... and I don't know how well it ran then.

I have another carb on the way and an air filter is coming. Currently there's no filter in there, and the box is missing the back piece. I read in another thread that they won't run right without the filter. I've pulled the carb apart, and it's all functioning well.

beets442
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
FWIW. I always check timing first, then carb. If you do the carb first you could be tuning bad time. Most people do carb first, cause its easiest...Beets

04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Cool.. Thanks. I just got off the phone with a friend that explained how to adjust the timing. Hopefully I can get this all figured out, cause the carb is as clean as a whistle now.