PDA

View Full Version : Oneway clutch removal?

honda_atc200es
04-11-2009, 05:47 PM
(no this is not a trike engine, but it is the same as many of the 200cc honda trikes, and any help i get here will be a good reference to the rest of the trike community :D )

I am almost positive my one way clutch is shot, there is no way to use the electric start, If i try I am greeted with a pleasant loud clunk and grind, i only tried that once, after that i took out the starting gear so i could just use the pull start as normal. I also get the 5-10 second metallic whirring and wind-down that many 250sx owners mention after shutting off the bike. now my question is, how do i get it out? i have a spare engine i am taking the part from, and wow, just the allen bolts on the flywheel are a major pain, i know that i will need a flywheel puller right? what other tools do i need and any tips or tricks to do this quickly? I am not worried about the spare engine, but i do not want to compromise my already running engine just for a little luxury

P.S. I recently had to rebuild my pullstart, but it just isn't as recoily (better term?) as it should be, the last 3-4 inches dont forcefully rewind, should i bother rewinding it?

rebel33382
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
my 250ES has that wind down wind, is it really that bad????

Howdy
04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
my 250ES has that wind down wind, is it really that bad????

yes, do a forum search key word "whirl" posted by me "Howdy" and you will find the info on it.

Honda, The one-way clutches are tricky to remove and save, how ever it can be done.
A bigger question is this: Why not use the spare set up off the other motor? Then there wouldn't be a need for removing it.
Howdy

honda_atc200es
04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
what do you mean by the spare set up?

(I am going to be in the garage all night, i just realized now i left out the cam chain guide O_o, now i have to take the valve assembly off just to put it in, grrr)

Dirtcrasher
04-11-2009, 09:24 PM
If you have excess rope hangin out, you neither have TOO much rope or haven't wound it enough...

Or you can wait till it flops around and gets caught on something :D

As far as your WHIRL.....

Removing one way clutches to re-use is "advanced" mechanics......

Take it apart see i it slips (it will) and see whats involved.....

BTW, you do seem to have a bad one way bearing/clutch.

honda_atc200es
04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I have cut the rope a little, so i just havent wound it enough, although the spring never came out to begin with, what happened was the rope snapped while i was pulling it, had to use a new rope and when i put the thing the rope winds around back in, it just never sat quite right, and i didnt wanna force it and have the spring come out, the handle will sit flush with the engine, as long as i let it in easy the last few inches

as far as the oneway clutch, i have taken everything apart on my spare motor except the flywheel, that is a pain in the ass, i got 2 of the allen bolts out, i gave up after that. as far as advanced mechanics, im no pro yet, but i do know a fair amount about these engines now that i have done some work with them, i am excellent with the top end, but the bottom still scares me =P

honda_atc200es
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
okay so a few weeks ago i had a fairly serious oil leak so i took off the left side cover to put in some formagasket and for some reason, the one way clutch freed up and the electric start works fine now. one issue though is that the bike makes a loud banging sound ocasionally during start up and shut down, is there any damage being caused?