PDA

View Full Version : 350x topend noise when hot plz help

coleaclark
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
ok when its starts getting hot it makes a snaping noise when i am trying to climb a sanddune i have oil, the topend has been rebuilt recently.. i have not a clue on what to do, it only does it is if im in a lower gear if im flooring it it wont do it also my chain is alittle loose i belleave there is an inch of play in the chain if that makes a difference

oscarmayer
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
that's VERY loose. you need to rear the manual and tighten the chain. was it replaced during the rebuild? what about the guides where they replaced too and tensioneer?

coleaclark
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
what do you mean guides, also what do you mean the chain is loose??

hrc200x
04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm guessing oscar thought you were refering to the cam chain had a inch of play in it. Do you know if the noise is comming from the engine or on the machine elsewhere? If not try to pin point where its comming from. Try revving it in neutral and see if it does it. Inch of play sounds about right, going from memory it might supposed to be inch and a quarter.

By guides he meant cam chain guides inside the motor, you'd have to remove the head to see them.

coleaclark
04-10-2009, 11:09 PM
well it doesent do it intell it gets hott but when im climbing a hill or somthing it makes a snapping noise if it is the cam chain is it hard to replace or expencive to have a professional do it, and also how loose is the the drive chain suppose to be and i mean bye that as in the chain drivin the back wheels i mean it has alot of power its just when i climb big hills at the dunes, it does not do it in neutral at all or at slow speeds, btw thanks for helping.. i hope im being as specific as i can.

hrc200x
04-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Usually cam chains will rattle/slap noise at idle. If cam chains are really really loose they will jump time and not run anymore. Noises are darn near impossible to troubleshoot through text. I belive drive chain tension is around inch and a quarter. You'll notice if you lean on the grab bar and push down, while pushing down the chain gets tighter, if chain is too tight its hard on bearings and chain/sprockets. Could it be an exhaust leek where the head pipes fit to the cyclinder?

coleaclark
04-11-2009, 02:19 AM
i have had problem sealing the head pipe to the head it does leak a little bit so that could be the broblem???

tapper190
04-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Does it do it only in one gear under lots of power? If so it could be a trans. problem with the gears not meshing or missing some pieces off the teeth. I believe the only thing to do would be to split the cases and take a look. I had this problem occur last year at Silver lake with my 200x.
Tapper

ThinktwiceZ71
04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
i had a similar problem on my 200s , topend was rebuild and every now and then i would get a snapping weird sound when hot. I found out it was the head gasket leaked some because the bolts that held it all together loosened on me. I retorqued them to the proper specs and all was good. I found this out by revving it and i could hear the noise , i had it idleing and i was fliiping the throttle listening to where the noise was comming from , and while i had the noise i saw it was bubbling some from where the gasket was. I retightened and problem was gone ! Good luck

I guess it's kinda like a strong sucking in sound , but also kinda sounds like a snap too.

coleaclark
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
the sound only occures when under alot of power like when im climbing a hill at low rpms when im haulin as up the hill it does not make this noise