PDA

View Full Version : New 350x carrier has play!!

3WheelNeil
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
i just installed a new boss racing billet bearing carrier, rode the bike for about an hour, and the new bearings now have play in them. could i have a bad axle?

DeePa
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
retighten the axle lock nuts and see if it helps.

how was the axle where the bearings ride? Was it all jacked up and pitted?

3WheelNeil
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
the axle looked fine

JohnR.
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
The axle nut needs to be re-tightened. Don't go crazy on it though. Overtightening it can destroy the bearings quicker than leaving it loose will.

John

SWIGIN
04-08-2009, 09:26 PM
The axle nut needs to be re-tightened. Don't go crazy on it though. Overtightening it can destroy the bearings quicker than leaving it loose will.

John

you are right if the bearing spacer tube thing is worn.

other wise crank the crap out of the nut, you wont hurt a thing

JohnR.
04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know if I would do that. All the articles I've read say to snug it. The lock nut is supposed to keep the collar nut from loosening up so there's no reason to crank the hell out of the collar nut. All that does is potentially put unnecessary side load on the bearings. Once the play is gone from the axle there is no point in cranking down on the collar nut much further. Leave that alone and tighten the crap out of the lock nut that butts up against the collar nut, wrap the collar and lock nut with electrical tape to hold them even better in place and call it a day.

John

KASEY
04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
the problem is!!!!! the spacer pipe is worn,, you should have no slack between the bearings and the pipe!! NONE ,,,,, then you can tighten it up TIGHT like its supose to be!! with it almost tight it will ruin everything because its not TIGHT!!! IF THERE IS NO SLACK IN THE PIPE THERE WILL BE no SIDELOAD ON THE BEARINGS,, thats the way it was when it was new, so it should be the same now to be right. if the pipe is worn get it fixed properly,,, your bearings will last for years ,,,,