PDA

View Full Version : Auto's R

Autophysn
04-08-2009, 04:55 AM
K so many of you have seen some sort of a progression the bike has gone thru. I recently did a re-ring job and ported the jug myself. Nothing radicle, just a simple opening here and polish there. Went out to Dumont with a group from the only other forum I frequent. We had a blast! Bike was running good till I tried to climb the first dune of the trip, then all of a sudden, Bam! Antifreeze all over my leg. I forgot to tighten the dome water hose clamp, Embaressed.
Anyway, I decided to cut my fenders, cause as many of you know, I weigh 320lbs and the bike was bottoming out so hard, the paddles where chewimng up my fenders. I set the pre-load as High as I could and went for it. It was great! I was jumping it no problem, and never once bottomed out.

All in all, Think I have most of the bugs worked out. I switched over to premix 927 with 91, but am thinking I may need to go with racing fuel. Whole reason I lost compression was due to detonation. I couldn't tell if it was damage done by years of abuse, but we'll see. I saved the piston, so this one only cost me a set of rings $40, and a gasket set, $25.

Anyway, enjoy

when first purchased
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/96be6733.jpg

First real dune trip
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Photo_122708_016.jpg

after selling the Selvy and getting all my new goodies
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Photo_012509_015.jpg

second real dune trip
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Pic-_022809_003.jpg

prepped for last real dune trip
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/250r.jpg

And finally the lastest pic
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Photo_032809_007-1.jpg

all things considered, not bad for the first year of getting her, I would think.
I have to admit I was a little fearfull of her at first, but after this last trip, she feels great! Really enjoy this bike, The FMF puts the powerband where I like it and she is now set up to take my weight. These bikes are amazing!

Thanks for watching, Auto

mohadib
04-08-2009, 05:30 AM
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Photo_012509_015.jpg

The engine sure looks nice. Reminds me of my Honda car.
Nice looking trike!

ThinktwiceZ71
04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Nice 250R !! I love the looks of a nice new chrome pipe ! :beer

edog
04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Why did you cut those nice oem fenders?

Should have got a good used Maier and cut them.

Autophysn
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Why did you cut those nice oem fenders?

Should have got a good used Maier and cut them.

The pics did them some serious justice. They where scratched up pretty good!

Brockey
04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice ride. I was having a blonde moment I think and was thinking there was an automatic R in this thread. lol. I'm stunned. But once again nice machine. Love the pipe.

04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
So, I'm new to this whole trike thing, and I was thinking I was the only "big guy" to sit on these. I've got about 10 pounds on you. I got the KLT200 because there was no rear suspension to bottom out.... LOL

Good looking bike, I guess I could look towards a 250R now that I know they can handle it (after cutting fenders).

With all of that out of the way, how does a 250 2 cycle compare to a similar sized 4 stroke? Would a 2 cycle carry my big butt better than a 4 stroke?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to all of this small engine stuff.

ants84olds
04-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Im 300 lbs and own a 250r. Best 700 dollars I ever spent. Beat a piped yamaha 450 at the drag strip in pismo. I was not riding though. The rider that was on it was about 160. Its still plenty fast though and even faster now that its ported with a different carb on it.

honda_atc200es
04-09-2009, 02:14 AM
2 strokes dont have the torque of a similar sized thumper, but that aside generally a 250 2 stroke is faster than a 250 4 stroke.

i wish i had a 250r, that is one nice bike right there

Autophysn
04-09-2009, 03:06 AM
So, I'm new to this whole trike thing, and I was thinking I was the only "big guy" to sit on these. I've got about 10 pounds on you. I got the KLT200 because there was no rear suspension to bottom out.... LOL

Good looking bike, I guess I could look towards a 250R now that I know they can handle it (after cutting fenders).

With all of that out of the way, how does a 250 2 cycle compare to a similar sized 4 stroke? Would a 2 cycle carry my big butt better than a 4 stroke?

First off, Thanks to all for the compliments, I appreciate them. Their are alot of guys here that think I was kinda silly to sell the pipe that was on tyhe bike when I got it, because it was a special edition. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Now, as to your question. There really is no comparission between 2 strokes and 4 strokes of the same engine size, IMO!!!!!!

But!!!! With my weight, I end up winding the living hell out of the bike. I road 4 strokes my entire life, and bought this cause I always "wanted" a two stroke 86 R. But!!!!!! I feel like I am abusing the living hell out of it when I climb dunes and especially when I jump. The bike was never designed for guys our size, & I am very well aware that sooner or later I will probably crack my frame or something. But the bike serves my purpose. Here in So California, I have a lot of heat to deal with. I grew up on a 350x, but noticed that when I cruised around with the kids, it would get very hot very quick. I would have to keep taking a straight fast shots to cool it down, then return to the kids.
The R is watercooled, so what I end up doing is playing around roosting stuff and frequently riding circles around my son, when we ride together. He is on a 1980 ATC110.
Anyhow, that is what I think you may encounter, especially if you dune, you will find yourself haveing to really wind the living hell out of it just to stay a float on the sand and hill. With what little dirt riding I have done, It was a blast, but kind of the same thing, cause you don't want to foul out the plug by just bogging it at slower speeds. Again, All IMO!!

Otherwise, crank the hell out of the pretensioner and go for it! It is a blast!

Oh, once you tighten the pretensioner, you may not have to cut the fenders. After I tightended it, Never once did it feel like it would have hit the fenders, but then again my paddles are taller than usual and the fenders where already cut.

Even before I tightened the spring, I never bottomed out with the stock knobbies.

Anyhow, I still have a lot of plans for this bike. I would like to drop a CR500 in the beast, simply cause of my weight. But I also will most likely ending up jumping into a dunebuggy and keeping this as my toy. That is if I can keep my son off of it in a couple of years:rolleyes:

Anyway, again, Thanks for the compliments. The bike was dirty. I need to spend some rubbing time with it and take some really good pictures, but that will have to wait. I am trying to find another house out here, it's taking all my time and $$$$ LOL!

Autophysn
04-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Nice ride. I was having a blonde moment I think and was thinking there was an automatic R in this thread. lol. I'm stunned. But once again nice machine. Love the pipe.

hahahaha, sorry about that, most people refer to me as Auto, so that is what I used:welcome:

Custom200
04-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah I was thing the sme thing...I was like????? Expecting a 200m motor or something in it. Clean trike by the way.

Autophysn
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Ha Ha , funny you say that, Tho I grew up riding trikes, When I started aquiring them again, I bought a 1980 Honda ATC110 for the same reason, No suspension. But my son quickly took that bike away from me ;)

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/Photo_012509_001.jpg