PDA

View Full Version : 200x cam in big red?

sheadijn
04-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Will a 200x cam do anything for a Bigred? its an 83, chain drive. Playing musicle parts swapping 200x top end that dropped a valve out for xr200 and would like to use the cam in Bigred, its cam has a bad lobe.

oscarmayer
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
yea but it's not much over stock. i build up an 82 200e big red and after researching the stocker parts i went ahead and spend the extra and got the good stuff. web stage-3 cam, web rockers, web springs and titanium retainers, versea performance valves, CNC valve job with CNC porting and bowl work, weisco 10.5:1 piston, and a few others goodies. the motor has tons of muscle now. it doesn;t even strain to climb up some big hills.

tyler540
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
after researching the stocker parts i went ahead and spend the extra and got the good stuff. web stage-3 cam, web rockers, web springs and titanium retainers, versea performance valves, CNC valve job with CNC porting and bowl work, weisco 10.5:1 piston, and a few others goodies. the motor has tons of muscle now. it doesn;t even strain to climb up some big hills.

so your saying that spending $70 on a 200x cam isnt worth the small increase in power?

looks like the stock 200x piston is flat top.. and from what i have gathered that should be about the same as the weisco 10.25:1? maybe not?

im doing the same thing as you did but im not looking to spend as much money!... those cams are EXPENSIVE!!

i was thinking of pretty much converting it to a 200x... with piston, stock cam, and carb... is that proformance increase worth, say $200? (thats about what i think i could do it for from ebay)

thanks

leevarnado
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
there's a well know saying,you get what you pay for.spend $200 and your going to get $200 of performance,which in my opinion isn't worth the trouble.now spend $500 and you have something to talk about.now if you already have all the 200x stuff and just need gaskets and rings,then go for it.

i have a 83-85 top end without cam.$100 plus shipping and they are yours.

oscarmayer
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
so your saying that spending $70 on a 200x cam isnt worth the small increase in power?

looks like the stock 200x piston is flat top.. and from what i have gathered that should be about the same as the weisco 10.25:1? maybe not?

im doing the same thing as you did but im not looking to spend as much money!... those cams are EXPENSIVE!!

i was thinking of pretty much converting it to a 200x... with piston, stock cam, and carb... is that proformance increase worth, say $200? (thats about what i think i could do it for from ebay)

thanks

no, the 200x pist is 9.5:1. the weisco is a 10.5:1 i know they say it's 10.25, but we did a verification and found it actually 10.475:1 so 10.5:1. the cam is NOT worth the 200x. for not much more you cna get a web cam that blows the stocker 200x outta the water.

your wanting to do exactly what I did. I spend $800 on my top end alone. trust me it was totally worth it. i have a crap load of torque down loa dn it runs awesome! anyway, yea if you want something better than stock, then get aftermarket parts. there's a big performance gain by getting the weisco piston. abotu 2-2.5hp increase. then getting a good cam from web will also add about 1-2hp with the weisco piston. (should do the rockers and springs and retainers) You don;t have to spend the $165 that I did on a cnc valve job, but at least get a good valve job done. it will make a big difference on ensuring your sealing the cyclinder correctly. especially with upped compression. I recommend a set of versah (sp?) valve to replace the stockers. the stockers probably have a ring around the seat and that's a worn valve that is no longer useable.

you have to make a choice.. pick 2 of the 3.
cheap
fast and powerfull
relyable

any 2 can be had, BUT not all 3.

leevarnado
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
say oscar ,which way to go for the reliable,stock??

oscarmayer
04-16-2009, 02:33 AM
relyable costs $. stock these days cost nearly as much as aftermarket asside form a few machined parts (talking new oem not used stuff here).

my built top end is 100% relyable cause I spend the $ and did it right. I did not cheap out on anything.

if your on a budget, get a 200x piston and xr200 cam(if cam is under $40 shipped) and use those. otherwise web's stage1 cam is still far better than the XR200 honda one. and weisco pistons are about $45 more than the stocker pistons.

remember the boring/honing labor will run you $45-$65 and the valve job will be like $45-65 depending on what it takes for a basic job. any rebuild i do, I always plan on replacing the valves cause if theya re the origional ones and have been ridden on then msot likley they are probebly worn to much to reuse. if you find you don't need to replace them it's a bonus!

AutoXer
04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
relyable costs $. stock these days cost nearly as much as aftermarket asside form a few machined parts (talking new oem not used stuff here).

my built top end is 100% relyable cause I spend the $ and did it right. I did not cheap out on anything.

if your on a budget, get a 200x piston and xr200 cam(if cam is under $40 shipped) and use those. otherwise web's stage1 cam is still far better than the XR200 honda one. and weisco pistons are about $45 more than the stocker pistons.

remember the boring/honing labor will run you $45-$65 and the valve job will be like $45-65 depending on what it takes for a basic job. any rebuild i do, I always plan on replacing the valves cause if theya re the origional ones and have been ridden on then msot likley they are probebly worn to much to reuse. if you find you don't need to replace them it's a bonus!
Great advice right there ... don't expect much more performance from replacing stock parts .... I wen't the cheap route and wasn't verry impressed with the size of the xr cam .... I will run it because I have it but probabally will end up with a web