PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: siezed pivot bolt 350x

RichinMO
07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Got the entire frame stipped except the swingarm, can't get the bolt out. Imagine that! Been soaking it with penetrating oil every day.

Suggestions? Bigger hammer? Torch?

atc86r
07-17-2003, 09:58 PM
air hammer and right size bit. or maybe junk socket.

NOS_350X
07-18-2003, 01:52 AM
heat it up put a candel to the bolt hot bolt the candel wax will go into it and loosen it up keep the heat on it while trying to loosen it up

86350X
07-18-2003, 02:45 AM
Does it spin freely? I would heat it then it it with an air hammer and a bit that fits in the holeon the nut side,,,, Ifyour gonna replce your swingarm bearings, good luck, I just did mine and it sucked,,,,,,

RacerRichie
07-18-2003, 07:32 AM
make sure it is spinning free and WHAIL on it with much force. Yes I did my swingarm bearings too and it really SUCKED. It also helped to move the swingarm up and down while trying to get it out. Mine hadn't seen grease in a few......years! :rolleyes:

JayP
07-18-2003, 02:43 PM
I had similar problems too, the bolt siezes in that collar in the middle where no penetrating oil will ever get to. You just gotta HIT IT! An air hammer would probably shake it loose, but I used a big brass drift, had a buddy hold it with channelocks and banged it with a 3 pound.

Also plan on grinding out the bearing races with a dremel or air die grinder. Reach in with a long thin stone and grind a strip all the way through for the entire length. As soon as you get through all the way down, the race will be able to collapse a little and will pull right out by hand.

You can get a rebuild kit for a 1987 TRX250X from Pivot works for $50 and then just cut off about an inch of the collar and save some bucks over Honda parts. That is what I did. Just remember to cut the collar in a lathe or some way so as to not harm the heat treating.

good luck.

RichinMO
07-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Looks like I'll end up beating the crap out of it then since neither I nor anyone I know has an air hammer. Thanks