PDA

View Full Version : BIG RED clutch springs

01ps
04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
1985 BR250es

I am finding that in mud I can only use low gear because the clutch seems to engage too soon and bogs the engine in 1st gear. Could the clutch springs be weak (I assume they hold the clutch shoes back from engaging until they reach a certain rpm)? I have adjusted the clutch by turning adjuster screw all left then 1/4 turn right. Is there another way to get the clutch to engage solidly at higher rmp?

Howdy
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
You actually have 2 clutches in the big red. There is a centrifical clutch and a semi-manual clutch. The one you can adjust is the semi-manual one and the adjustment basically is for dis-engaging it while shifting. How ever if not adjusted properly it will either cause the clutch to slip at all times and make it a real pain to shift, or it will cause the machine to jump / jerk into gear when shifting gears.

What i get from your posting is that if there is a problem, then there is something wrong with your centrifical clutch. There is NO adjustment on this one, so a clean and inspection is probably a good place to start.
Howdy