PDA

View Full Version : 350X rear axle help

07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey guys,

Can you remove the rear axle without special tools? If you have to have them, where can I get them for a reasonable price. I have new bearings and seals, but haven't tried to remove the axle yet.

Thanks

jeswinehart
07-17-2003, 06:53 PM
not really any special tools required. i used pipe wrenchs w/breaker bars ( 5 ' long ). also had to make a puller to get the rear brake disc off.
really nothing that can't be fabbed up but a book on how to do is gonna be the key to figuring it out also.
i'll tell you this,,, you gotta put things back together just as tight or stuff won't line up,,, your brake disc will drag on one side .

john

JeepTJ
07-17-2003, 11:30 PM
as long as everything comes apart it's not too bad, I just did mine 4 weeks ago, I did it in just under an hour

-loosen your rear brake side wheel hub nut
-take off your chain
-take off your rear brake caliper
-take off your wheel hub on the rear brake side, just leave the wheel on the hub
-loosen the lock nut on the axle, I needed about a 5 foot cheater too, look at the threads, you will be pushing your wrench down to loosen the lock nut
-loosen the nut on the threaded collar, take off the washer over the clip and remove the clip
-pull everything including the rear disk hub off the axle
-the axle will slide right out now
-knock out your old seals and bearings, slap in the new ones, and back together
-don't push your seals in too far, they should be right at the edge of the carrier

I use never seize on all my bolts and splines except for the axle lock nut, I use a couple drops of thread lock on it, next time you do it everything should fall right apart

you don't need thread lock but watch your lock nut for a week or so, it has a habit of coming loose if you didn't get it tight enough

check out the schematic from www.bikebandit.com it shows you how the axle comes apart

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_id=170147

if I missed anything someone add to this

roofinggun
07-18-2003, 12:11 AM
A friend of mine has been racing a long time and they all put a strip of duct tape over the axle nut when they are done to keep it from coming loose and keep the threads clean. It works great! Just remember to take the axle out the right side (facing the rear) and do not tap the axle ends with a hammer when taking it out or putting it back in because the threaed ends are soft. I learned the hard way a long time ago.

07-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys. I put a Durablue axle (had the local shop do it) and new bearings and seal in about 5 years ago, but I need to replace the bearings and seals again now. I do have a manual, I just didn't know about those lock nuts.

Thanks again