PDA

View Full Version : Blown shock on extended swingarm??

owens33
04-05-2009, 01:42 AM
I am a new member to this site, but not new to this website.I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions. I own a honda 1986 250r ATC. I have extended the swingarm by 4 inches as well as the axle. The Shock location on the swingarm is at its stock location, however once the trike is sitting on its own the suspension drops 2 inches. You can grab the grab bar and pull up approx 2 inches before the tires come off the ground. Is my rear shock blown? If so what can I do to fix this problem without spending loads of money? Also I am using the stock shock and prolink system. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated......Steve

dcreel
04-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Are you talking about sag? If you are talking about sag it is designed into the suspension travel and is totally normal. Sag shouldn't have anything to do with your shock being blown. If your shock was blown it would rebound faster than normal, like a pogo stick. With less resistance to bottoming.

If the shock is in good working condition, you can adjust the preload by tightening the spanner underneath the spring. This will decrease your sag as well as making your suspension stiffer.

Your longer swingarm will have an effect on your shock, but I wouldn't think it would be a large one. The longer your swingarm, the softer the stroke on your shock will be. It's a leverage thing.

Hope this helps.
Doug Creel

owens33
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much for your help, love this site.....Seems like there are less and less three wheelers out there, glad to know that some are still around!!!

atctim
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Owens - my 500 seems really soft too as it is extended 4 inches on the swing arm. The reason for this is simple leverage - the further back the wheels sit - the softer it will get.

JohnR.
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
You can offset it some by cranking up the pre-load a bit. I have a +10" arm that I used on my R when we went to the dunes and it wasn't that bad. I wasn't out jumping the thing so that wasn't an issue but it was nice and plush while cruising the dunes.

John