PDA

View Full Version : Confused At Clutch Adjustment Yama

zppeacock
04-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I got a 83 YTM200E, The clutch slips during acceleration somewhat. So I looked in my repair manual to see how to adjust it. It says to turn it CCW until resistance is felt, on the trike it self it says. CCW Decrease CW Increase. :wondering

So I tired turning it the way the manual says, and it was still slipping worse but I didn't really ride it much cause its late and didn't want to bother anyone.

So I turned it the increase way until I felt resistance then backed it off a little. It seems better but I didn't get a change to fully ride it.

After getting the locking nut loose do I hold that then turn the flat head? Or just turn the flat head?:wondering

MonroeMike
04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Loosen the locknut. Turn the clutch adjuster with a screwdriver counter clockwise until resistance is felt. Turn it back, 1/8 turn (clockwise). Tighten the locknut to 11 ft.-lbs.

zppeacock
04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Loosen the locknut. Turn the clutch adjuster with a screwdriver counter clockwise until resistance is felt. Turn it back, 1/8 turn (clockwise). Tighten the locknut to 11 ft.-lbs.

so dont hold the locknut while adjusting it?

MonroeMike
04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Nope, not necessary. Make sure you hold the screw when you tighten the nut though.

zppeacock
04-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Ok

Ill try that tommrow

Why do my cases say, Decrease=CCW Increase=CW?

MonroeMike
04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
No clue, all mine say the same thing as yours. I did it like the manual said. It works now.

zppeacock
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Cool, thanks.

Hopefully we get some snow tomorrow! Weather man says 2-5 inches!

Howdy
04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
The machine actually has 2 clutches. A centrifical and a semi-manual.

If you put the machine in high gear ( 3-4th ) while stopped and try to take off and the motor wants to rev up a bunch and the machine slowly takes off then the semi-manual clutch is going bad / out of adjustment.

If you go to take off and the motor must rev up quite a bit before it really engages then the centrifical clutch is bad. There is NO adjustment for the centrifical clutch.

If the machine was run for a while with the ( semi-manual ) clutch adjusted wrong it is very possible the clutch has been damaged and will need replaced. It's not that hard to do, and shouldn't cost over $50 to do it yourself.
Howdy

zppeacock
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
So what should it do if I put it in 3-4th while stopped if the clutch is working correctly?

SWIGIN
04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
what do you think it should do?

try it in a car or anything with a tranny.....it will chug along till it gets up to speed

Howdy
04-05-2009, 04:06 PM
So what should it do if I put it in 3-4th while stopped if the clutch is working correctly?
The motor will lug badly but should still take off.
If it's Good: It won't rev up very fast, and you will get a slow but firm take off.
If it's bad: it will rev up quickly, and barely want to take off, but it will just a lot of slipping.
Howdy