PDA

View Full Version : 250es problems galore. . .

mattcruff
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Alright. So my big red smoked like... a fireplace. So i ordered a 250sx motor off ebay. (It was cheaper than a top end kit.) Installed it today. No smoke, but transmission is all screwed up. Reverse light stays on. And it tries to pop in reverse while I'm in drive. I don't know much about the transmission in these things. So i guess since i know how to do top ends ill switch the top ends. I don't know what bore the good cylinder is, so i don't know what size rings to order for it. What are the odds i could re-use the rings if they look okay? Ive just always heard you have to replace them.

Or has anyone ever had this reverse problem? simple fix for it?

Name Brand
04-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Is the reverse cable stuck and holding the reverse in place?

If you do switch topends just replace the rings. You have it apart already... might as well get some new parts in there.

Taiser
04-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Ditto on the seller, I buy stuff on there all the time! Hope you nuked him on feedback!

If you change the top, I agree with Name Brand, chance the rings and get the cylinder honned...not expensive, and I'd look at the valves too and the top of the chamber just to make sure all is ok,

Howdy
04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
It's very possible the tranny issue is a some what simple one. It could be as simple as a loose / broken bolt under the left side cover. Or a loose / broken bolt under the right side cover. But then again it could be a major internal problem. Without digging into the motor it would be hard to tell which way would be the best way to go for fixing it.
Howdy

smvorndran
04-05-2009, 12:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260353754916

Here's a link to a cheap set of stock bore rings. I just picked up one of two sets he has available. I'd snag them up if I were you. The dealer wants $40 for a set of rings, and you can get these for $20 shipped. The stock bore is 74mm. That's 2.913" with calipers or bore gauge. Don't forget to give it a very light honing so the new rings will seat properly.

smvorndran

mattcruff
04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Nah its not the reverse lever, i wish it was that simple. it works as it should. But the teeth in there sounds like there. . .grinding. Guess i'll have to get me some measuring calipers. I wish i knew the sellers name. I cannot find it anywhere now. No one bid on the item, but i asked him a question about it. and he said he would ship it to me for 200 dollars. so i paypal'd him the money. Guess I shouldn't have been lazy because now i will probably end up rebuilding my old one anyways. I wish i didnt have to get new rings and hone it.

I just found the guy "EMW911"

here is the motor....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320351294836

Should have known from the looks of it i guess. but my best motors, have been the ugliest in the past, so i looked past the looks.

Hey guys, where can i get a cheap calipers for measuring the bore? Harbor Freight?

And also, i just want to say i love this site. These forums have really helped me out a lot. I think its great. All the members are awesome.

oscarmayer
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
yea harbor freight or norther tool.

Taiser
04-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Hmm his feedback is good, sounds like he obviously never ran the thing so how could he say it runs good? Maybe if you trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro a little he may send you a few bucks back, just as so not to wreck his feedback record? Worth a shot.