PDA

View Full Version : More 200e fun...

nxcj
04-03-2009, 09:16 PM
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=117129&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1983&fveh=2797

In the service manual segment above:

#15 washer just slides off, toward the tranny, when I install it. What is supposed to keep it on the splines of the sprocket?

#14 washer, I assume, is supposed to keep the high range gear in place? Mine didn't have this (bought with trashed sub trans) and the high gear walked toward the low, when shifted in low. Therefor, the high gear is half stripped.

I have a good set of gears ready to go on, but want to ensure everything is correct.

Additionally, my starter gear (behind the flywheel) was rubbing on the timing chain adjuster. My downloaded manual shows a washer going on the crank first, before the roller bearing and starter gear. Other manuals do not show this washer here, but show it between the starter gear and the flywheel. In my situation, it appears that the washer will space the gear out far enought to miss what is behind it. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance...

nxcj
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Bueller...anyone :)

Bump for the morning crew...

Howdy
04-04-2009, 10:21 AM
#15 is held in place by a inner part of the inner sub tranny case. The washer is to keep the gear from rubbing the case and wearing it out. The reason it has splines is to have a smaller center for turning / spinning purposes. If it didn't have these the washer would fit very loosely and cause problems.

#14 is to keep the gear in place.

Can't remember on the starter gear question.
Howdy

nxcj
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply Howdy.

So you're saying that the #15 washer is supposed to slide over the splines which hold the high gear, then sit in the groove next to the case? I questioned this because when it sits there, it's not really centered; just kinda hangs there.

Howdy
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
That washer is to keep the gear from rubbing on the case. Without it the case would wear out quickly. I have never seen a washer that fit snug there.
Howdy

nxcj
04-04-2009, 10:34 AM
10-4, thanks again.