PDA

View Full Version : Need Z help!!

kokmatt
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Im putting my z back together and filled it with coolant and i noticed that i have coolant leaking out of a head bolt. Any idea on what would cause this. i rebuilt the motor and have not tried to start it yet. any help would be appreciated.

DeePa
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
are you using copper crush washers?

i use new copper crush washers and the nuts with the enclosed tops on them....theyre called acorn nuts.

Did you use new gaskets?

Did you ever have a problem with coolant leaking from up there?

kokmatt
04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
i only rode the trike once before i took it apart but dont remember and leaking coolant. i am using stainless steel washers. and yes i used new gaskets.

Yamada
04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Looks like the problem came from your SS washers.

kokmatt
04-03-2009, 08:23 PM
can u pick up those copper washers anywhere?

TimSr
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
:wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering

If you are leaking coolant around one of the studs, you either have a leaking head gasket, or a cracked coolant jacket in either the head, or less likely the cylinder. If you can manage to stop it by creating a second seal with a copper washer in a place coolant can only get to by breaching the first seal I wouldnt count on it being reliable before coolant comes out somewhere else. That you have a leak without having even started it yet would make me suspicious of the head being cracked, assuming you didnt forget to torque down the head nuts when you installed it.

The TriZ originally used a nut with a washer base on it, and no other washers. The head gasket makes the coolant seal, and the compression seal. TriZ heads and cylinder tops are notorious for distorting shape and not sealing at the head gasket when they get older. Factory and aftermarket steel gaskets do not seal well on it, unless both surfaces are perfectly flat. Cometic gaskets (sometimes branded as Wiseco gaskets) are a thick soft fiber type gasket, and are a lot more forgiving on less than perfect surfaces, which includes most TriZ top ends that have seen substantial use.

kokmatt
04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
well im gonna have to pull the head and inspect it then. hopefully i find nothing real bad.

Yamahondaman
04-04-2009, 04:32 PM
TimSr is Correct ... the 20 summen yr old things kinda warp ..
in 1987 my 86 head Cracked....