PDA

View Full Version : need a ID on this bike please ( moved )

seanndenise
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
hi could someone give me a idea what year this yamaha is and if possible tell me where on the bike i could find a model number. i need it to order some parts for it. i do know its a 125.

i got this bike or should i call it a trike? for a 100 bucks, its a blast to ride but needs work.

any help is appreciated.http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/230/hpim0384.jpg

atctim
04-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like 1980 thru 1985 YT 125 Tri-Moto. As far as I know they were mostly the same for all those years.

Post the VIN and I will tell you exactly what year it is.

By the way - this is in the wrong forum so I will be forced to give you a thumbs down!!!!

whipit
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
That machine has the early style headlight....1980-82 YT125 I think

rdlsz24
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Ask the seller for the VIN and enter it here:

http://decodemyvin.webs.com/

Rob

old-yellow
04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
If there is plastic covers around the rear sprocket and brake disk it's a 82-85 if not it's a 80-81.

Vealmonkey
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Old-yellow, sorry to say you are wrong. All the yt125 and yt175 had plastick covers around the chain and the disc brake. The big tellers of the year are, no metal dash or surround around the headlight. The 2 small holders that are attached to the the holders of the handlebars. The fuel tank cover which has no louvers. The rear bearring carrier which on 80-81 is held on by 3 bolt as opposed to 82 and later which is held on by 2 bolts. Also the wheel hubs are different on the 80-81 yt125 opposed to the nice round wheel hubs of the 82 and later, maybe the 81 and later. My 1980 had the odd shaped wheel hubs. Just by looking at the picture the way it is, you have a 1980 or 1981 yt125. Many of the later year parts will work on your trike, so it's not a problem, but you have to remember, the later years parts are sometimes the only option and you may have to change several parts at once to get one part to work. Also your clutch has less clutch plates and clutch discs than later model yt trikes, also dealable. Your shifter assembly is different than later year shifters, it is wimpier, but you can still get the parts if need be. You can change to the beefier later model shifter, but you have to do a couple mods and have all the necessary later year parts, no big deal though. You can even bolt on a yt175 pistion, cylinder, reedcage and exhaust and have a 175! If you changed your frame for a 82 and later frame, all later year parts are easily interchangable. You can bolt on a 82 or 83 yt175 front end and have front suspension, which is an easy bolt on, you just need to make sure you have all the parts which also gives you a front brake. They are neat trikes, ugly but neat. A couple members have been fixing them up lately. You can still get many parts from the dealer to keep it running. Fenders are getting harder and harder to find, but they are out there. Yts' were never as popular as hondas, but they are suprisingly quick for what they are. And you have a 5 speed transmission and a full steel frame, unlike most small hondas 4 speed tranny and stamped steel frame. They are quite the wheelie machine and can safely be wheelied for miles unlike alot of 4 strokes. They are 2 stroke engines and require 2 stroke premix in either the little plastic tank under the seat or mixed in with the gasoline at the proper ratio. A great entry level bike that has alot of potential to grow with you. Just remember, the trike is a hardtail, no rear suspension. They are almost too fast for not having any suspension. Beware of jumping the trike or hitting large potholes and such as the hardtail trike will have a tendency to bounce. The way the trike sits, the tires are you only suspension. Keep them properly inflated, which is around 6-8 psi. And higher than that and it takes away all the bounce the trike has and makes it a little more dangerous. And when you turn, please do not put your foot down. Also, make sure to wear a helmet. Don't take any hard turns at first until you get the hang of leaning into the turn. You'll figure that one out pretty fast or have a really nice wreck. LOL Welcome to the boards, ride safe, have fun, wear a helmet.

seanndenise
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Old-yellow, sorry to say you are wrong. All the yt125 and yt175 had plastick covers around the chain and the disc brake. The big tellers of the year are, no metal dash or surround around the headlight. The 2 small holders that are attached to the the holders of the handlebars. The fuel tank cover which has no louvers. The rear bearring carrier which on 80-81 is held on by 3 bolt as opposed to 82 and later which is held on by 2 bolts. Also the wheel hubs are different on the 80-81 yt125 opposed to the nice round wheel hubs of the 82 and later, maybe the 81 and later. My 1980 had the odd shaped wheel hubs. Just by looking at the picture the way it is, you have a 1980 or 1981 yt125. Many of the later year parts will work on your trike, so it's not a problem, but you have to remember, the later years parts are sometimes the only option and you may have to change several parts at once to get one part to work. Also your clutch has less clutch plates and clutch discs than later model yt trikes, also dealable. Your shifter assembly is different than later year shifters, it is wimpier, but you can still get the parts if need be. You can change to the beefier later model shifter, but you have to do a couple mods and have all the necessary later year parts, no big deal though. You can even bolt on a yt175 pistion, cylinder, reedcage and exhaust and have a 175! If you changed your frame for a 82 and later frame, all later year parts are easily interchangable. You can bolt on a 82 or 83 yt175 front end and have front suspension, which is an easy bolt on, you just need to make sure you have all the parts which also gives you a front brake. They are neat trikes, ugly but neat. A couple members have been fixing them up lately. You can still get many parts from the dealer to keep it running. Fenders are getting harder and harder to find, but they are out there. Yts' were never as popular as hondas, but they are suprisingly quick for what they are. And you have a 5 speed transmission and a full steel frame, unlike most small hondas 4 speed tranny and stamped steel frame. They are quite the wheelie machine and can safely be wheelied for miles unlike alot of 4 strokes. They are 2 stroke engines and require 2 stroke premix in either the little plastic tank under the seat or mixed in with the gasoline at the proper ratio. A great entry level bike that has alot of potential to grow with you. Just remember, the trike is a hardtail, no rear suspension. They are almost too fast for not having any suspension. Beware of jumping the trike or hitting large potholes and such as the hardtail trike will have a tendency to bounce. The way the trike sits, the tires are you only suspension. Keep them properly inflated, which is around 6-8 psi. And higher than that and it takes away all the bounce the trike has and makes it a little more dangerous. And when you turn, please do not put your foot down. Also, make sure to wear a helmet. Don't take any hard turns at first until you get the hang of leaning into the turn. You'll figure that one out pretty fast or have a really nice wreck. LOL Welcome to the boards, ride safe, have fun, wear a helmet.wow, that was a lot of info, wasnt expecting that.

i took my blackberry phone with internet access down to the local bike shop and let the guy behind the parts counter read what you said and also showed him some pictures, he looked up 80-81 parts for it and they were all the same part number even a few years later. he even had a some stuff in stock.

i had to laugh when you warned me about the do's and dont's with it, the guy at work i got it from told me all the same stuff, he has a broken thumb and collarbone to prove it, (healed up) . he even said he ran his leg over once, he said i would only do it once, LOL.

you are not kidding about it being a wheelie machine, first time i got into it in 3rd gear that dang front end popped up and scared the poop outa me, i thought the damn thing was gonna tip over, but it didnt. i was white knuckling it for a few yards.

for as bad of shape the throttle cable is in and a host of other small parts , the 3 wheeler runs really good, starts first pull and idles really nice. it needs a new seat cover, but at least all the plastic is intact, no cracks.

i was shocked when i learned a throttle cable for it was 111.00 , but the parts manager at the shop said he could make me a custom cable for 25 bucks, so everything is fine.

ill throw a few hundred bucks into it and have some fun with it this summer.

me and the woman have been talking about getting some sort of atv for a couple years now but have just never went through with it. hopefully we will have an uneventfull summer with it, without injury and she will catch the atv bug.

anyways thanks for the informative answer.

seanndenise
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
thanks to everyone else who answered also.

old-yellow
04-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry for the wrong info, but I have a 1980 trimoto that I parted out and that one did not have the covers around the rear break disk or the rear sprocket and it has a way different style chain tensioner on it then my 82 trimoto and I swear I remember reading some where that they started putting the rear plastic covers on them in 1982, but Veal you know more about the other little stuff that they changed through the years. sorry for the inconvenienced and thanks veal for clearing that up.

Alex

Vealmonkey
04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Old-yellow, no biggie and you have done your best to help alot of people. Most people took them off and never replaced them. They aren't really water tight, but they help with keeping alot of sand and dust and small rocks from entering some delicate spots, but are a maintenance nightmare if you have to work on them. Also they don't work with the suspension kits. The chain tensioners were barely adequate at best and that is why companies like Pro Tec, Kyosho 3x3 and Caliper all made money selling aftermarket parts for the yt's and the hondas. Things that would have been costly for the big
3, but were ingenious and great money makers at the same time. The Pro Tec chain tensioner I have is a way better design than what yamaha had. I'm no expert, but I've had to learn some things the hard way with first hand experience. I have a box with parts that do me no good as they are the wrong year or mislisted trike or whatever. I call it my education box. I'll hit the dump with it here one day along with some other cast offs. Keep helping people and file away the info and learn. Remember, I said nothing negative about you.

yt125man
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
that is a 1980 yt125 i have the exact same bike but in better condition and i got mine for $125