PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z tranny issues

Russell 350X
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Its been acting up since I bought it over the winter.

If I have it WO up a hill, or just running hard sometimes, it will jump into the next higher gear without me ever touching the shifter. If I ride without getting into it to hard it won't do it, but I was out today and going up a hill it jumped from 2nd to 3rd, for no apparent reason. Has anyone had a problem with this before?

Also, the clutch arm is leaking oil, I'm assuming the seal is toast, wheres the best place to get one? (if they still make them)

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I bet it's something simple.

I'd look at the pieces that hold it in any given gear first. Like the roller, spring etc etc. I think the 350X starts it's shifting fun on the left side and then over to the right side, IDK about the Z.

I bet you'll find an easy fix with something working itself loose or otherwise.....

Russell 350X
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I hope its something stupid. I have never done bottom end work, other than the clutch on my 350X, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Just look at the manual, take some covers off and I think it will show it's ugly head right to you.... My money is on EASY :D

clutchcargo
04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I've never had that happen to me, but I would pull off the right side clutch cover and see if the spring for the shift shaft broke or something else. If you're careful removing the cover, you may be able to reuse the gasket also.
As far as the seal is concerned, I think most of the seals are still available from Yamaha or Bikebandit..

tri-Z ripper
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
i say clutch my bike jumps into first when it is cold or revved high in neutral. clutch springs and clutch basket are worn! check those first bet im right!

Bryan Raffa
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
start with the easy stuff first Russ.. check the shift shaft spring..sounds like a bad pin on the shift fork.possibly

that seal you can get from yamaha

Russell 350X
04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
start with the easy stuff first Russ.. check the shift shaft spring..sounds like a bad pin on the shift fork.possibly

that seal you can get from yamaha

Is this all stuff that can be done in frame, without splitting the cases? Like I said I'm completly new to the tranny area. I'll deffinetly check that out Raffa, thanks :w00t:

ripper, I'll be sure to check that too, I was wondering the same thing but my clutch dosent at all.

DeePa
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Russ,

Checking the star mechanism which holds it in gear and the shift shaft spring is easy, just drain the oil and coolant, then pull the clutch cover. you dont have to drain the coolant, but it makes it a lot easier and you pull the whole cover off, and disconnect the hoses.

As far as the pins on the shift forks, that requires splitting the cases.

Mike

Mosh
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Check the chain adjustment first. Make sure it isnt too tight or loose.
Then check the spring on the shift star detent arm.They get weak and will let them shift on their own.
While the clutch cover is off, you can remove the clutch arm and replace the seal.
All that can be done in the frame.

Russell 350X
04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Check the chain adjustment first. Make sure it isnt too tight or loose.
Then check the spring on the shift star detent arm.They get weak and will let them shift on their own.
While the clutch cover is off, you can remove the clutch arm and replace the seal.
All that can be done in the frame.

Thanks Rob, I'll check on all of that. Thats basically what its doing, it shifts on its own.

Russell 350X
04-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Just getting into it now, does that primary drive gear nut need to come loose to get the clutch assembly out?? Thanks.

Bryan Raffa
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
no! it dont .. pull the springs, then pressure plate, inner boss pulls out,, bend the tab up on the lock washer,, remove nut,, watch for the big washers.. and where they go! pull basket off,,there will be a big washer behind that..dont lose it in your oil pan..lol....

you can remove the kickstart gears with the basket in ..you have to play the wiggle game,, with the basket off its easy.. you should be able too inspect everything..

that NUT on the clutch needs to be tourqued too 45 Fp when installed or it will bind!

Russell 350X
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
The detent spring was broke. I'm looking into getting one from a individual, does anyone have a idea where to get a new one incase he dosent have one? Bikebandit and MRcycles does not carry it. Thanks.

Bryan Raffa
04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I know of only one person....you will have to wait till the easter bunny comes...

Bryan Raffa
04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
everyone L@@K at Russ's Easter Basket!!HOP:Bounce HOP:Bounce HOP:Bounce

Russell 350X
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Raffa, YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Bounce :w00t: :w00t:

chris200x
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
LMAO!!! you yami guys need some serious help! :D

Bryan Raffa
04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
LMAO!!! you yami guys need some serious help! :D