PDA

View Full Version : 200x will not shift

cmt511
07-16-2003, 06:58 PM
I am still having problems with the 86 200x. It wouldnt shift at first. So i took the side cover off and found the Gear shift plate was broken. I fixed that put it back on and it still will not shift. What else could it be? The gear shift drum? If so do I have to open the case to remove that? Any help is appreciated.

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Can't tell for sure but it's very possibe either a gear or fork or the drum itself has some type of binding in it and could have caused that part you just replaced to break again. If you can't spin that tranny and shift up or down your gonna have to at least get the clutch cover off fo further inspection and may even have to do the nasty - splitting cases.

Good luck

cmt511
07-17-2003, 12:59 PM
The engine is almost completely apart. I have everything off except the kick start gear(because i cant figure out how and dont have my manual yet) I can stick my finger into the case under where the cluch is and turn the drum about a quarter turn each direction. I think its about to get ugly, Do I need any special tools to split the cases? Any do's and dont's about splitting the case. Thanks

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2003, 01:41 PM
GET A MANUAL then don't remove anything that doesn't slide off easily or with a light tap from PLASTIC hammer. A screwdriver is only for the case bolts - not prying. If it says you need a tool then most likely hundreds of dollars of damage will result if you fail to use the appropriate tool. Cases tap apart very easy on four strokes after everything is removed properly - the motor should also be nice and clean including a well lighted workbench thats clean to work on too.

Hundreds of parts - one mistake and it'll be useless. Some people are better off just getting the motor out and maybe taking the top end off if your comfortable with that - and then let someone experienced deal with the lower end. Ive cost myself alot of money when I was younger "learning".

Gears, forks and drums are quite costly - I be someone here has a spare bottom end - good luck!