PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Problem !!!!!

HypnotizeMindz
03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
ok, i finished my tecate project... decided to start her..
gets spark, plenty of compression, gas... no fire.. small pops and spurts here and there...

pull it around with the 4 wheeler, my leg started hurting..

adjusted timing (kx250 ignition)... nothing.

what could it be ?? when it finally wants to run, wont open up, and dies instantly... what should i look at or fix ? spark is fine... and mucho compression...

Hoosier_Daddy
03-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you have a good intake boot? If there are any cracks coat that baby up with some of that tool dip stuff. You can get it at the local hardware or Auto store.

HypnotizeMindz
03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
i dont see any cracks in it.. i should take it off and inspect better... i never thought about the reeds...could the reeds be bad ?

the bike's been sitting for 2 years, in a garage, hasnt started..

what if the boot is good ?

Hoosier_Daddy
03-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Well, what year is it? It's likely the intake boot is dry rotted to some extent. You can get that plistidip, tool dip for about $15 and it would be a good idea to coat the boot with a good coat or two of that.

The reeds COULD be a problem. When yiou take off the boot slide them out and see if they are lifted up and worn out. That would be another inexpensive thing to replace. After that, if it's still acting up you might want to check the timing and carb. If your carb is in good order thn maybe you'll have to time it. Timing them is above my head but there are guys here who can help you.

I would check the boot, reeds and clean the carb real good since it sat. Then see what the guys have to say about getting the timing set. Good luck.

boosted96cobra
03-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Are you sure the spark is good? I mean I know you see it but is it really fast or is it like a 4 stroke? I had mine idling and it just died on me. i could get it to fire here and there but it wouldn't run. It had spark at the plug. I tried everything (remember mine was running fine not 2 years sitting) finnaly tried another stator and started right up. When I checked spark with the running one the spark is twice as fast.

You cleaned the carb new fuel ect right? I am thinking so bvecause you said project....

HypnotizeMindz
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
spark is weak, i'd have to say.... its there, barely..

i dont see the stator i have on ricky stator... mine's motorplat or something like that... a one piece deal..

JohnR.
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Is it a KX ignition or a motoplat? Your first post says "kx ignition".

John

HypnotizeMindz
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
otherwise i gotta buy the stators and a new flywheel... this motoplat supposedly has hotter spark than stock, if its working correctly

HypnotizeMindz
03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
sorry, motoplat... i figured it was a kx ignition, because i had an old kx250 a few years back with the same ignition, figured thats what was stock...

JohnR.
03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
It could still be a problem with the ignition. Unfortunately any specs that are in the service manual are kind of useless if its not the stock ignition. I found a couple of links by doing a search on Yahoo:http://www.yankeetwin.com/motoplat.html

http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/motoplat.htm

http://www.pentonimports.com/troubleshooting.htm

http://motoplatrepair.tripod.com/

The last two look like they have some potential for you. There was a ton of hits when I did my search so you can definitely find more info.

John

boosted96cobra
03-28-2009, 09:11 PM
That is what I am guessing also...Damn sorry wish I knew more about the motoplat..... does it look like it got wet in there? any rust?

scooterroo
03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
so its a motoplat ignition then? i would check the timing. sounds like your having issues. the timing on motoplat and pvl ignitions need to be kinda right on. they are very touchy when advancing and retarding them. also, totally different then a kx igntion where as the kx igntion has a flywheel that covers the stator plate and coils, and a motoplat, pvl type, has a tiny flywheel that revolves inside the coil/ cdi unti thingy. lol, i been tossing back the 12oz's so i hope i make sence here, lol. if not let me have it, at least im trying to help yah out. and i know what "i" mean by saying what i just said.

this reply took the better half of 20 minutes to compose, and no spell check used!!! hey? who's near the fridge?

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 09:28 AM
i appreciate the help guys, i talked to the motoplat repair guy, he said 135$ and a week, and it'll be done...

what im thinking though, for 135... i can add another 115$ and get a brand new flywheel and stator from rickystator, with lights..

whats the benefit of going with motoplat ? i hear hotter spark... but it cant be too much hotter..

i have no problem sendin off 135$ and gettin it rebuilt... i'm just thinkin i can get all new stuff for double the money.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-29-2009, 11:01 AM
i appreciate the help guys, i talked to the motoplat repair guy, he said 135$ and a week, and it'll be done...

what im thinking though, for 135... i can add another 115$ and get a brand new flywheel and stator from rickystator, with lights..

whats the benefit of going with motoplat ? i hear hotter spark... but it cant be too much hotter..

i have no problem sendin off 135$ and gettin it rebuilt... i'm just thinkin i can get all new stuff for double the money.My understanding is the motoplat or pvl ignitions rev faster. Nobody could say how much of an advantage this has. I came across a pvl for mine and asked in the past. They just said it will rev easier but it sounds like it will be of most benefit for some racers. If your a recreation rider it sounds like a Ricky would be a good bet. I'm thinking about not going with the pvl myself. It sounds like it's a real pain to dial them in and I don't know if I want the hassle. I'm still not sure though.

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
how hard is it to tune in the stock tecate ignition ?
gotta keep pullin the flywheel to get to it... which seems like a major hassle.

could the coil get weak ?? could it be tested ? i wanna check everything before i break down and buy unnecessary parts

200x Basket
03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
i see you found the problem

i had a tecate do this. it had been sitting for a couple years and had a dirt dobber nest cloggin up the the exhaust. it would hit one time and never again. it took a while to figure that one out :)

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
how hard is it to time the stock tecate ignition ??

this one doesnt line up right, plus its weak. the timing marks dont line up at all... i've tried everything/

it still pops when i kick it over, sounds way off timing, plus sometimes spark isnt there, or its real weak.

i'm thinkin of buying the whole package from rickystator, so i can have lights too... but is it easy to tune it ? without pulling the flywheel off over and over

fabiodriven
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
how hard is it to time the stock tecate ignition ??

this one doesnt line up right, plus its weak. the timing marks dont line up at all... i've tried everything/

it still pops when i kick it over, sounds way off timing, plus sometimes spark isnt there, or its real weak.

i'm thinkin of buying the whole package from rickystator, so i can have lights too... but is it easy to tune it ? without pulling the flywheel off over and over

I've got the whole Ricky setup on mine, never had an issue. I just lined up the marks and away I went. It's not hard at all to set up, just bolt it up and go. Some guys on here say that the Ricky timing marks are off from the factory, but I never had a problem with mine. Well worth the money and in my case it was actually a gain in horsepower.

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
this bike... it goes from the bs motoplat ignition, straight to the coil..

is the rickystator the same way ? or do i need a voltage regulator or cdi or what ?

im thinkin i'm gonna buy it.

this bike ran fine when we parked it, sat 2 years, now nothing.

another reason i'd like to get the rickystator deal, is for the lights

fabiodriven
03-29-2009, 04:07 PM
You need a CDI.

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 04:11 PM
i have the cdi from the tri-z but i doubt its interchangable.

i glanced at cdi's on ebay... TAXIN lol

fabiodriven
03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
They arent that expensive and they're still around. I think they may be the same as some KX/KDX CDI's but double check first.

boosted96cobra
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a few cdi and coils though I have never tested any of them. I will say the ricky/rmstator flywheel is a very nice piece. The stators aren't. It is kinda hit and miss. The one I posted about that went out on me was a ricky. Lasted 5 rides. With that stator in I pulled our big mountain in 3rd, when it went out I dug one out of my parts pile, looks 25 years old and had a hard 25 years, but runs great and pulls 2/3 of the mountain in 5th before hitting 4th. Nothing else was changed.

I dunno what kind of riding your doing, if it is sand I'd fix what you have, if alot of trails the heavier fly will be a benifit.

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 04:25 PM
my kind of riding, is just ride around the farm fields, no sand really, just dirt... we play around, race a lil bit... nothing extreme.

if i sent this moto plat off to get rebuilt, i still have no idea how to time it, because the marks dont line up with each other, about an inch off...

to start off, the stator and flywheel is 250 from rs. plus the cdi, and i might as well get a coil too... who knows if its any good...

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 04:31 PM
wanna get rid of a cdi & coil cobra ? any way to test it ?

Mr.Atc
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
if it happens to be the intake boot dont bother repairingit you would be better off just buying a new one

fabiodriven
03-29-2009, 04:54 PM
if it happens to be the intake boot dont bother repairingit you would be better off just buying a new one

Tell me where I can get one and I would....

3Razors
03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I would like to see a picture of the ignition we are dealing with here. If it is indeed a motoplat and you lined up the lines that will be a very bad thing and meltdown could be around the corner. You adjust the motoplat ignition with a dial indicator. Is the pickup a blood red color?

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 06:13 PM
where can i find a dial indicator, i really dont wanna buy one, i'd just like to time this pig one time...
here's a pic of the ignition

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
how would that lead to a meltdown ?

3Razors
03-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Lining up the lines could advance the timing too far or vice versa, the lines are just there for reference not for standard timing. The motoplat fllywheel is not "keyed" on the crankshaft. You set the intitial timing with the dial indicator. From the sounds of things a traditional Tecate setup would suit you better for it has more low-end grunt, lights, and alot easier to time. With the oem ignition you just "line up the lines" and be done with it. You could sell that motoplate on ebay and I'm guessing get at least $150 for it.

Here is a link to help you understand it better, unless you are a savvy tuner I would avoid tinkering with it to not risk a meltdown.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/Engine+Components+Product+Reviews/Performance-Ignition-System-Installation-and-Adjus/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/359285

DixiePlowboy
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I'd be seriously tempted to trade my Ricky Stator setup for a good working/repaired Motoplat. I know where two Tecate Motoplats are locally, but I don't know if they're good or not.

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm already looking for a coil and cdi. I appreciate everyones input. Every little bit helped. I can't wait to hear this old girl run

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Sell me your rickystator set up. Ill give you this and some money

3Razors
03-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm looking at the pic and it looks like the rotor is possibly keyed. I've heard some motoplat setups had a keyway but its rare. Also the ignition is rotated all the way counterclockwise and that would retard the ignition severly. Might try rotating it clockwise to advance it to help starting.

dcreel
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Here is a picture of a my Motoplat coil on an 85 Tecate. It works awesome.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/100_1840.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/100_1845.jpg

The difference between the motoplat and the stock with ricky stator setup is huge as far as acceleration goes.

JohnR.
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I have a PVL on my R and it is very similar to a Motoplat. I cannot begin to explain how much quicker the engine revs compared to stock. The enormous amount of weight you will take out of the rotating assembly by going from the big, heavy stock flywheel to the little aluminum one that comes with the Motoplat makes an enormous difference. It really isn't the ideal set up for woods or techincal riding but once you get used to it its not a big deal. If they weren't so hard to find I'd love to get one for my T3. The headlight never goes on the thing, its always on a shelf in the shed so I wouldn't miss the light at all.

John

HypnotizeMindz
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Well if I could get it to work, I'd use it... I have little to NO spark. Even if I get it rebuilf, I hjave no clue how to set it up and time it

Hoosier_Daddy
03-29-2009, 11:55 PM
You can't. They are discontinued. But if you know of any, please tell us.:naughty:

dcreel
03-30-2009, 02:34 AM
I have one.. still in the bag. woot woot

cr480r
03-30-2009, 03:02 AM
I never could see what the attraction to the pvl/motoplat ignitions is.. some flywheel affect is a good thing...

boosted96cobra
03-30-2009, 03:08 AM
I never could see what the attraction to the pvl/motoplat ignitions is.. some flywheel affect is a good thing...

I agree, I love hearing the paddles hum a bit more and sand fly higher when you rip the next gear!

I always thought the use on these bikes was people were tired of paying $3-400 for stock stuff that ended up falling apart from the glued magnets. I actually have a case that was welded because is had damage from a a magnet flying off. I also heard these are great for pure drag applications especially running alky.

JohnR.
03-30-2009, 08:32 AM
It looks like PVL still makes ignitions for the T3:

http://www.pentonimports.com/application.htm

PN - 70107

Penton isn't a retailer so I'll put a call into the place I got my PVL from to find out what it goes for.

John

DixiePlowboy
03-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah, you and I have voiced differing opinions of the flywheel weight/rotating mass issue more than once.

I guess the best way I know to describe my personal attraction to a lighter flywheel is that I have a specific goal/use in mind for my Tecate.....flattracking and high performance riding(no tight trails). In that type of use, I really prefer a faster "spin-up" over low-speed traction/rideability. Breaking the rear loose and out quickly and easily is what I like.....even if I have to clutch it more and be more concienceous(sp?:)) of the throttle.

The '92 KX250 I had last year came to me with a 10-oz.(if I remember correctly) weight attached to the fly. I tried it both with and without the weight, and quickly decided to sell the weight. True, traction did suffer with the lighter setup as well as it stalled a bit easier, but the way I rode it(no slow-speed technical stuff or chugging around) it was "like" gaining 5 horsepower or dropping 50 lbs. of machine weight over the weighted wheel. I didn't notice any lack of pick-up speed between shifts because I hardly gave the engine time to lag/fall off RPM's between shifts.

There are plenty of people riding in places and in ways that a stock or heavier flywheel will benefit them.....such is not the case for myself or this Tecate. My future trail machine/all-arounder's(likely a Z) will not be lightened.

:beer

HypnotizeMindz
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I do wide open riding. No trails. Just horsin around, sliding corners.

If they still sell the pvl, let me know. Might be cheaper to buy a new one than to have mine rebuilt

3Razors
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
The PVL is spendy at around $450

HypnotizeMindz
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Ouch. This place is MI can rebuild the stator and coil for about 185

JohnR.
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I heard back from eurodirt about the PVL. List is $530, they sell it for $430. Its a special order part so you have to pre-pay. Here's a LINK (http://www.thewhimsicalwagon.com/eurodirt/) to their site and the guy I have dealt with is Daryl at their Colorado store. Its not cheap but it does work well and will solve your ignition issues for a long time to come. I don't think I'd spend the money on a new stock type stator and flywheel unless I absolutely had to have a headlight. I'd take the hit and buck up for the PVL.

John

HypnotizeMindz
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm sending the motoplat off to get rebuilt. All new parts, and a 5 year warranty.

That's for eveyones help. Ill let everyone know how it works when I get it back.

dcreel
03-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes, tell us how it goes.. Especially the setting it up part.

JohnR.
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Its really not difficult to set it up. You just need a dial indicator so that you can set the timing. You measure the distance from TDC in millimeters by using the dial indicator and having it hit the top of the piston. Once you've done that you bolt everything on the PVL/Motoplat together and you're done. You shouldn't have to fool with it again unless you take the flywheel or plate off. Even then, if you remove the plate for some reason you can put it back to the same place by using the screw marks that will be left behind on the plate. Its pretty much a set it and forget it type of thing. I haven't fooled with mine since I built the thing 8 years ago.

John

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
ok, i ordered a dial indicator today, from ftz racing... said 30$ for it, cant go wrong.

my shaft has the key slot, for a woodruff key... so does my flywheel... if i put a woodruff key in, why would i need the dial indicator ?? it would only go on 1 way...

if i dont, how do i set it up.. i know the 2mm btdc, but where do i aim the flywheel ??

i should get my stator back by the end of the week, just i wana get an idea of what to do, so i dont start blind.

scooterroo
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
i dont think a pvl requires the use of a woodruff key. at least thats what i remember when setting digity x's t3 up with his pvl. nto sure about a motoplat though.

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
well the flywheel has the slot, and so does my crank... but when i pulled my flywheel to send it off... there was no key, and it wasnt lined up.. thats why i'm asking.

JohnR.
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Don't use the key. I don't have a Motoplat but I'm guessing the install is pretty much the same as the PVL. Once you have the piston in position you put the flywheel on with the mark on it lining up with the mark on the plate/pickup coil. Make sure that you wrap a piece of paper around the flywheel a couple of times before you put it inside of the pickup assembly. The paper will give you a gap so that the flywheel doesn't contact the pickup coil.

EDIT: Ask the rebuilder for directions for it.

John

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Once you have the piston in position you put the flywheel on with the mark on it lining up with the mark on the plate/pickup coil.........

use the plate as a reference to bolt on the flywheel ? the plate can be installed in 3 different positions...

im sure it installs with the wires closes to the hole in the case..
why would they put a slot in the flywheel for a key, if it doesnt take one.... unless they retrofitted this ignition off another bike..

JohnR.
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Its use is optional.

3Razors
04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
HypnotizeMindz you might have a motoplat ignition from another bike make. They were kind of a universal design. It is intriging that your flywheel has a slot. I dont know if back in the day the Motoplat for the Tecate came standard or not with a slot for the key. Any other Tecate owners on here with a Motoplat have a keyway on theres??? At any case I would use a key and bolt it up. If you want to be absolutely sure of the timing grab a timing light and purchase one of those tachometer/hour meters displays. Timing on Tecate should be 17 degrees BTDC @6000 rpm. So you would set dial indicator at .069 inches initially and start up the bike rev to 6k rpm and see if timing marks align.

Good Luck:)

You can buy tach/hour displays from Dennis Kirk P/N 40-7082 for about $45

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
i have a timing light, but not a tach...
i gotta get the bike to run before i can check anything..

so start off at 17 degress, .069 in btdc.. and it should be right..

i'll try the key, worst case scenario, doesnt line up.. but thats where im at now, so it wouldnt hurt to try.

i'm just saying when i pulled the flywheel, there was no key, and when the bike was at tdc, the mark on the flywheel was at 7pm.

3Razors
04-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, go ahead and try the key first, if the marks are way outa wack and you can't rotate the ignition enough to make the lines meet then you'll have to pull flywheel off and rotate to where it needs be.

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
ok, set it at .069in btdc, bolt it up, and i'll have a little bit of play with the advance / mentally hadicapper to get her right..

alright. where can i find the tach i need to check this ?

im being patient with the bike so far...

3Razors
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
10-4 on that. Off hand Denniskirk.com sells the tach display p/n 40-7082, it only goes to 8K rpm though. I'm sure there are other sites online with others.

Patient is the key, double check everything to not risk a metldown.:mad:

HypnotizeMindz
04-01-2009, 08:47 PM
will do..

thanks again, really.
i should get my stuff back by friday, i ordered the dial indicator today. i'll keep you all posted.

HypnotizeMindz
04-04-2009, 09:41 AM
well the motoplat guy pulled a fast one on me... first he said it was fixed... brand new coil, 5 year warranty.. then he calls back and said the price went up.. he wants 200...

whatever, i gotta get it back. i just hate places that up the price when they have you by the balls

JohnR.
04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
For what its worth, it is possible that the guy thought he had it fixed and then found a problem before he shipped it out. $200 is still a bargain compared to $500 for a new PVL.

John

HypnotizeMindz
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
i got my dial indicator, and received my motoplat back today...

.069 inches btdc ? so 69 little lines... each one equals o.oo1 inch

i mount the stator itself first right ? set the motor at .069 btdc, then mount my internal flywheel pointing at the mark on the stator ??

i wanna get it right the first time. i had to pull the motor, cant get the indicator in, frame;s in the way

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 08:47 PM
the guy that rebuilt my motoplat really did a crummy job, cosmetic wise... dunno if it works or not.
i took a few pics.

he re-epoxied it after the rebuild and didnt put a timing mark, just put a lil pen dot...

on my flywheel, when i line it up.. do i use the line with the X through it ? or just the line ??

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
this is what im dealin with

tecat-z
04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
You have to determine TDC first!!! Set pointer on 0, and retard by turning fly to desired degrees before TDC while watching gauge. Mark fly and case. Fire bike and use inductive timing light, Turn plate until line on fly and case line up.

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 09:06 PM
i did... i determined 0 (tdc) with the dial indicator. and went backwards .069in
mounted the stator.... then mounted the flywheel on the marks. i didnt bolt it down yet..

i wanted to double check to see if i did it right... because now i have to mount the motor back in the bike and run it... if i screwed up, i gotta tear her back down, and its a mission.
i'm just double checking my procedures..

i have a timing light for a car.... is that inductive ? if not.. what is ?

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
i know i still need to get a tach. its not gonna be precise to go by the light, because there is no mark on my stator... he put a little pen mark on the inside, i used a marker and kinda extended it so i can see it... my flywheel is internal, where the mark was i couldnt see it

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
a look at the whole deal

tecat-z
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
You don't need a mark on the stator. It is determined by moving it to achieve line up of fly and case marks. That will be new mark. The oem mark on case means nothing.

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense. How do I know where to point the fly ? Can't just point it anywhere? The stator won't line up with it.
Your method isn't adding up to me. I can't find the factory marks in the case.

I read the instructions on penton imports for the pvl. And I'm still lost

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Another thing. I have 2 marks on my flywheel. Which do I use ? Just the line ? Or the line with the X ? Are they fire and time lines ?

tecat-z
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
It's difficult to explain. But, you are going to make all new marks on stator, once a point of reference had been determined with the dial indicator. It does sound confusing. And this is why many people have so many probs with PVL, or and other type of ignition other than oem. Set up is key!!!!. Don't pay attention to the marks on the fly. You will make new ones.....

HypnotizeMindz
04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Point of reference. At tdc ? 17 degrees btdc ?
Which direction do I point the fly ? It can't go just anywhere because the set screws on the stator don't gaive me many options. Will I use the line on the fly or the line with x on it for the reference point ?
I really appreciate your help by the way.

3Razors
04-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Tecat-Z i'm not sure I'm following your method of making a new mark on the flywheel. From the sounds of things you cannot use the keyway on the flywheel, so one would have to use the given lines on the stator and rotor. The factory mark on the case would still mean nothing though.

Hypnotize I am curious as to why the guy that rebuilt the stator put the pen mark on a different section of the stator. From your first picture the "line" was factory recessed in the upper left hand area and now after being rebuilt it is in the upper right hand?? Could he have made a mistake, a modification, or????? Inspect the stator carefully to see if that other line is there, if any doubt give the guy a call and ask questions.

When you set it up you had it right.

1. Set motor at tdc and then rotate crankshaft .069 clockwise

2. Go ahead and install stator so the fit is good and the wires aren't kinked badly and they come out of the hole area on the case

3. Install the rotor with the large line (not the X) so that it lines up with the line on the stator. Go ahead and torque it down.

4. Now go ahead and rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions and set back to TDC and rotate crankshaft .069 clockwise (ie repeat step one) This is to double check that the rotor didnt move when you torqued it.

5. Make sure the lines are in line with eachother, they should be somewhat close if not loosen the screws on the stator plate and adjust it till they are perfect. Then go ahead and tighten them down. For reference in the future you can scribe a mark on the stator plate to the somewhere on the engine case so you wont have to go through this again. Also you can now do the timing light trick to see how/where the setup went.

Also make sure to get a grommet of some sort for the wires in the case slot so no dust/water gets in. Use a new gasket for the stator cover. A trick I use on stator plate gaskets is to put a light coat of grease on each side to keep them from tearing/getting hard if I ever have to pull the cover of again to inspect or adjust in the future.

HypnotizeMindz
04-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Now that made sense. I thought I had it right...I wanted double check it. I would hate to have to pul the motor again over something simple. Thanks again

HypnotizeMindz
04-14-2009, 06:15 AM
i just noticed that, about the marks on the stator he re-epoxied the stator up, and i saw a line and went for it...
i took a couple pics...

HypnotizeMindz
04-14-2009, 06:19 AM
you can see a line, or a split on either one... i know which one is the right line now though..

HypnotizeMindz
04-14-2009, 06:21 AM
the second pic, had a small arrow or line mark on it.. on top and bottom of the contact. it was clearly visible... i figured thats the right one, but now i look at the old pics, its on the next section.. the first pic is the section that originally had the line on it...

HypnotizeMindz
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
my dilemma..

i put my stator on, set the timing... put the motor in, wired it up, hosed it up, oiled it up, gassed it up... and kicked... and kicked...
nothing.

getting spark, gas, compression, air...and a h_ll of a kick.

i got pissed, walked around, came back kicked again and kicked back at the bottom of the kick... about broke my ankle... did it again, and again..
came online, did a search... found out it was too far advanced..
backed it off... now it'll backfire here and there.. spit a flame out the pipe.. no kick back, but wont run either...

could it still be a bit advanced ?? i'm about to say screw it and see if someone will trade me their ricky stator ignition... i just invested another 200 getting this motoplat rebuilt

fabiodriven
04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I could be mistaken, but if it's shooting flames out the exhaust maybe now it's retarded? From what I hear you really gotta be precise with those motoplats...

HypnotizeMindz
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
thats why im really wanting to maybe trade it for a rickystator set up... i'd buy one, but i already dumped 200 in this motoplat.

im getting frustrated it.. and i have a swollen toe..it decided to kickback and bend my toe back farther than it should..

i kicked and kicked... i'm exhausted.

HypnotizeMindz
04-29-2009, 06:59 PM
i went at it again...it'll spurt for a second... right after it kicks back...
retard a lil bit, same....
a lil bit more, same result..
this weekend i'll pull start it and see where i'm at....

fabiodriven
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
this weekend i'll pull start it and see where i'm at....

Hmmm.. Be careful with that. You don't want to make her do anything she don't want to. Patience, Danielson...

HypnotizeMindz
04-29-2009, 07:05 PM
well what do i do ? keep kicking ??

HypnotizeMindz
04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
ITS ALIVE !!!
dunno how, or why... but 2nd kick today, fired right up.. like nothing..
wouldnt open up the rpms, retarded just a bit and ran perfect... its crazy..
all that kicking for the past few days, being cautious not to flood it.... and today 2nd kick.. i need a swingarm bolt, so i didnt take it for a spin.. to see how the power is, to see if i need to adjust more..

kicks back just a tad.. maybe i need to retard it just a bit more...

fabiodriven
05-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Nice job man. Glad to hear it's running.

HypnotizeMindz
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
i know its been a while.. but i finally had a chance to ride it.. in neutral.. runs fine, revs up all the way... but when you ride it, low end is fine, but about half throttle and up... every gear.. bogs, and dies til you let off..

what could it be ?

nd4speed
06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
main jet? stator? power valves?

HypnotizeMindz
06-02-2009, 06:30 AM
brand new stator & coil.
cleaned carb thoroughly...

i have no idea about the power valve..

could it be reeds?

fabiodriven
06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
i know its been a while.. but i finally had a chance to ride it.. in neutral.. runs fine, revs up all the way... but when you ride it, low end is fine, but about half throttle and up... every gear.. bogs, and dies til you let off..

what could it be ?

Mine did the same thing when I first bought it. The previous owner had put an aftermarket exhaust on it and never jetted it. I jetted it and it was good to go.

HypnotizeMindz
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
i'm gonna check the carb again... maybe sucked some trash out of the tank or somethin...

i got my buddy stoppin by and he builds drag banshees & 250rs and stuff like that,
i'm sure she can help.