PDA

View Full Version : 200x HELP!!!

85200xrider
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
i have an 85 200x and i need some help. i dont have the power that i used to have and its kinda pissing me off. the local shop said he will diagnose for free and pick it up for free...as long as i have him fix it for 65/hr. i cant do it because i dont have the money.

i think it might be the carb, i got a new one off ebay and adjusted it to the best of my ability and i did get a good power gain but now its back to being sluggish. ive tried adjusting the valves, nothing. i have no clue what im doing and truthfully i want the motor rebuilt but i dont wanna screw it up by doing it myself and i dont want to pay someone else to do it. i just want the power that i know a 200x should have.

85200xrider
03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
i figured out the reason for the power loss...my valve adjusting screw fell off AGAIN...tightened it up as much as possible hopefully it stays tight

dcreel
03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
loctite.. man, loctite.

85200xrider
03-29-2009, 07:39 AM
ill do that the next time it happens....ive pulled the motor 3 times already so i can fish the screw out of the cylinder head..... i just wanna ride haha...a complete rebuild is coming once i move into the new house...with garage :woot: instead of trucking everything into my basement

Dave's1985200X
03-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I just rebuilt my top-end and it is not as hard as you think!! I am by far no motor head and with a little patience and determination you can do it. Believe it or not they are very simple to work on, I was very surprised. You will need the manual if you are new to it, it is a big help and with all these guys on this site that are willing to give you all the technical help they can give away it is a great resource.
Try it, you will be surprised.
Just watch the timing..............I didn't!! LMFAO!!!