PDA

View Full Version : Transmission trouble

STEERJOCK
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I bought a good running 1985 Honda 250ES Big Red for $70 last week, the guy obviously dont know what a good ole machine is worth. The trouble is though that the transmission is messed up. He used to pull loads of hay with it and thats prolly what caused it to go out. IDK what to do, some days it shifts good, other days you cant even get it in to gear. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when I tear it apart or to even get to the transmission? I think it looks like you got to split the whole motor. Any help? Thanks!!!!

Daddio
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
:welcome: aboard. Follow this link. You will find it helpful.:)
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56218

oscarmayer
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
dammit's manuals are offline right now. your welcome to grab them off my server if you want. link is in my sig.

Dirtcrasher
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I find 85% of all tranny problems to be linkage related and thats either behind the clutch cover or the left side case like the 350X. Different things need to slip and catch and ratchet and hold etc etc etc. Pins come loose, bolts come loose and things wear out or get rounded at a corner that needs to be square.

I've split allot of cases and have rarely found bent forks and or chipped gears, esp on a 4 stroke Honda :D

atctim
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
It may even be the clutch they way you have described it.

Saul
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
semi-related - on a 4 stroke honda 350 if the kickstarter is locked up or pretty much locked up and can't be kicked over by foot - what would be the first things you guys would look at as the problem?

firehart
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I had a bolt strip out behind the shift drum on my Rancher last year. It only had 800 miles on it. I did not buy the extended warrenty so I had to foot the bill.

STEERJOCK
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I took the left cover off of the motor and there was a bolt that just screws into the block that somewhat holds the shift lever in place, would just a little movement cause it to not shift right? I have a spare motor thats blown that I tried working on last night, but I couldnt get the clutch nut to break loose? Any ideas? Or anyone know of a mechanic in Iowa that cheap? Thanks

STEERJOCK
03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Also, any suggestions on how to split the crankcase? I printed out the onwners manual from this site, but just looking for some good suggestions.

STEERJOCK
03-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Just getting this page back to the top

Dirtcrasher
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Thats what I was getting at, it may simply be a problem under the clutch or side cover, those are just covers and not "splitting the case" Thats the point at which most people give up or screw up. It's not hard, but lots of little details to be aware of within the center case. Hopefully thats not your issue as the motor has to come out, topend off and the entire bottom end stripped, split, cleaned, fixed and reassembled.

nxcj
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Steerjock,
I'm over by Bondurant (near Des Moines). I'm dealing with a 200e tranny right now (similar issues, albeit earlier generation trans.). I'll be watching your progress!

STEERJOCK
03-28-2009, 03:20 AM
10-4 nxcj, thats not too far away, im up by Ames, if I find anything out I will let you know.

Howdy
03-28-2009, 09:08 AM
On the 250es I would remove the left side cover and check the shifting linkage and the bolt that returns it to center. These are the most common problems on these motors.

You did say you found a bolt. Did it have threads on one end, and a smooth shank on the other?
Howdy

STEERJOCK
03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, its about 1.25 inches long and just kinda holds it in place, but it was still doing its job, just it was loose

STEERJOCK
04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
just getting this thing to the top

Erics350x
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
does the shifter still move when it wont shift?

STEERJOCK
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, it shifts, but just doesnt go into gear all the time, somedays it shifts good, and then the next day you better plan on sittin for an hour tryin to get it into gear.

Saul
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, it shifts, but just doesnt go into gear all the time, somedays it shifts good, and then the next day you better plan on sittin for an hour tryin to get it into gear.

It's not revving/idling to high is it? On my 86 fourtrax when it idles high/revs it's hard to shift into gear - oull the choke and get it to idle down a lil and it would shift fine.

Just throwing that out there.

Howdy
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Sounds like my reply above should be checked out.

STEERJOCK
04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I got that broken bolt out and fixed it, but its still doing the same. It doesnt idle to high or low, just dont shift, I have come to find that if you get it rolling, it will usually go into gear easier.

nxcj
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
On mine:

I found that my clutch adjustment bolt was froze because someone left the washer out from behind the nut. The nut bottomed out on the shoulder of the bolt and, therefor, they tightened the bolt all the way. Needless to say, the clutch was WAAAY out of adjustment. I had to remove the adjustment bolt and lever so I could get them to seperate...

Now my clutch works well and I don't have an inch of play in the shifter...

STEERJOCK
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I fixed the broken bolt and put the crankcase covers back on cause I figured it was to much for to me to tear down the motor to even get to the trans, but now when and i mean when i get it into gear, usually the higher ones, it revs up high and jumps out of gear, now whats wrong? Anyone in Iowa or Illinois willing to work on her? Not looking to spend very much, shes not to pretty, but wouldnt mind having the hassle fixed. Thanks