PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Get This Thing Started

BAM
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a 85 yamaha 225dx. I found this in front of a house getting ready to be thrown out. As the people were dragging it out i started to talk to them. They said it had been sitting there for about 15 years. So far i have replaced the spark plug and the battery. The engine does turn but it does not start. Also i do not have a key for it because the recent owners must have ripped out where you put the key in. I would like some help on how to get this thing started and running.

codemanlyons
03-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Just go thru the motions. Clean the tank, Clean the carb,new oil make sure it has compression and spark clean the air filter

zppeacock
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Are you using the pullstart while your trying to start it? My yama starts faster with the pullstart then the electric start.

pudge
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
you say there is no key? you sill needs to mess with the wiring bye the key, it will turn over all day but not start until you by-pass the key

threewheelin-feelin
03-25-2009, 12:09 AM
you say there is no key? you sill needs to mess with the wiring bye the key, it will turn over all day but not start until you by-pass the key

yup check to see if your getting fire...im willing to bet you arent...if you arent ticker ith the wiring and see if you can find out how to complete the circuit...and i bet she will run

82cutty
03-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Since it's been sitting forever I would :

Change the oil .

Drain the old gas .

Clean the air filter .

Clean the carb .

Put a new plug .

Make sure the ignition is on...get a wiring diagram to by-pass .

Then make sure you have spark...fuel and compression .

Before you no it she'll be running :w00t:

firehart
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Post some pictures. We'd like to see how it looks.

Yamada
03-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I think all you need to do to bypass the key switch is unplug it. Also probably a key from a Yamaga ATV of this era should work.

pudge
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
I think all you need to do to bypass the key switch is unplug it. Also probably a key from a Yamaga ATV of this era should work.

good point that should work, just pull the connectors off the back of the ignition....if that dont work touch the connectors together and try that

leevarnado
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
heres u a wiring diagram,hope that helps a little.http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/YTM225DXKDXLDXN.jpg

Dirtcrasher
03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
It's almost always the carb thats all gummed up on trikes that have sat for long periods of time.....

Check for mice in the airbox before you pull that cord one time!! (too late) :lol:

BAM
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
yup check to see if your getting fire...im willing to bet you arent...if you arent ticker ith the wiring and see if you can find out how to complete the circuit...and i bet she will run

How do i check to see if im getting fire?

BAM
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Since it's been sitting forever I would :

Change the oil .

Drain the old gas .

Clean the air filter .

Clean the carb .

Put a new plug .

Make sure the ignition is on...get a wiring diagram to by-pass .

Then make sure you have spark...fuel and compression .

Before you no it she'll be running :w00t:

How do i check for compression?

codemanlyons
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
take the plug out but leave it on the coil wire and ground it to the motor and watch it as you turn it over you will see spark...be carefull it will jump out and bit you if your not...

BAM
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Im only 15 and I dont know a lot about these machines so anything you can post to help me out with it I would really appreciate it

82cutty
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
How do i check for compression?

Go to autozone and rent the compression tester . Take the plug out and screw it in . Then pull the starter and read the guage on the tester .

Yamada
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Go to autozone and rent the compression tester . Take the plug out and screw it in . Then pull the starter and read the guage on the tester .

Also, don't forget to hold the throttle open.

Bryan Raffa
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
first thing NO KEY..under the tank unplug the harness and make a little (U) shaped wire .. you need to connect the brown and red wire.. then you will have power to the motor (spark,,, ECT) then wrap it in black tape ...and if you stole this bike and I just helped you hot wire it ,, I hope it never starts:lol:

PS.. Put your big boy gloves on and pull start that badboy

BAM
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
first thing NO KEY..under the tank unplug the harness and make a little (U) shaped wire .. you need to connect the brown and red wire.. then you will have power to the motor (spark,,, ECT) then wrap it in black tape ...and if you stole this bike and I just helped you hot wire it ,, I hope it never starts:lol:

PS.. Put your big boy gloves on and pull start that badboy

Hey man thank you so much. I did not steal this bike and i do not plan on stealing a bike

Meat-BoX
03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Well if your 15 and got a very good 3 wheeler for cheap or free your on your way. Those are fun machines. Listen to what these guys say and with some money and patience you will be doing wheelies and ripping it up in no time. Remember Real men Ride on 3 wheels. Welcome to the club:beer

MonroeMike
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Wear a helmet.

BAM
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Well if your 15 and got a very good 3 wheeler for cheap or free your on your way. Those are fun machines. Listen to what these guys say and with some money and patience you will be doing wheelies and ripping it up in no time. Remember Real men Ride on 3 wheels. Welcome to the club:beer

Hey man thanks. I know they are fun, I ride my uncles 3 wheeler all the time, especially in the mud:w00t: . But the only thing is, is that this thing hasnt been started in about 15 years and i have been trying for about 2 months now to get it started and I havent gotten nowhere so far:cry:

BAM
03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Wear a helmet.

always do:crazy:

leevarnado
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
lick your fingers then hold the plug and pull the rope,if it bites its firing,thats how my uncles taught me how to work on engines,lol.you need three things for it to run fire,air,and gas.if you have them 3 then it should run,even with worn rings but it will smoke like crazy.

BAM
04-25-2009, 01:55 AM
hey so i got a new air filter, battery, spark plug, fuse, fuel line, and starter. i also changed the oil cleaned the carburetor, and gas tank. i got it running last week and was driving it up and down the street a few times. i brought it back and put it in my garage, ten minutes later i go to start it up and it doesnt turn over. i can hear the solenoid clicking but the starter isnt turning, plus when i try to pull the cord, i cant even pull it out an inch. i had some other people try to pull it, they cant even do it. so i ask anybody, can you please help me?

Erics350x
04-25-2009, 06:36 AM
try putting it in gear and rolling it back and forth to try and free whatever binded.

BAM
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
ok so i tried that and it freed up the starter but now im not getting compression. what do i do?

leevarnado
04-27-2009, 09:14 PM
loosen your valves and leave loose then try to pull the rope.see if it turns over then

BAM
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
loosen your valves and leave loose then try to pull the rope.see if it turns over then

loosen what valves? this is the first engine i have ever worked on so i dont know a lot of things and what they look like

MonroeMike
04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
What is exactly the problem now? It pulls over too easy?

leevarnado
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
well if you lost compression then it could be your valves.download a manual from here.look up where it talks about adjusting the valves.

leevarnado
04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't any reason to loosen the valves, he posted that it was the starter that was binding, which is now free.

What is exactly the problem now? It pulls over too easy?

yeah well i didn't read where it freed up

MonroeMike
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I had just edited my comment to remove that, I just noticed you had the same post times, my apologies to you.

harryredtrike
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
fuel,spark,timing.go through each system one by one.bypass that key before you start.