PDA

View Full Version : 1983 ATC 200 Front Brake Assy HELP

larryhorne
03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm doing the restoration on a 1983 ATC 200 (no letter) and am having problems with the fit up of the front brake assy. Everything "dry fits" or in other words without the axle inserted. If I try to putthe axle thru the brake shoes are so tight that the travel of the brake actuator/lever is basically zero. I bought the brake shoes from HONDA dealer but I'm sure they could be wrong although they mount fine.

Does anyone have the specs for the brake shoes so I can mic them? I can't find the old set or I'd use them.

Thoughts?

MonroeMike
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
From the Honda Shop Manual

atctim
03-21-2009, 02:14 PM
is the actuator lever exactly parallel with the brake shoes? I've found with new pads - everything has to be just right to fit back together. Also - how does you drum look? I've had to clean them up in your situation as well.

larryhorne
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
More Pics

I'm certain the side holding the shoes is properly assembled, all surfaces flat and neutral. Now the drum may need a skim cut due to the corrosion there initially BUT even with the axel out the travel of the lever is less than .0040.

When I get out to the shop tomorrow I will mc all parts. Just seems like the shoes are too wide.

Stay tuned for actual numbers. That should shead some light on which part is out of spec.

Also, MonroeMike, which shop manual were you using? I cannot find a copy of the ATC 200 (no letter) anywhere on the forum. Find the M and the S. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the help.. I need to get this thing back together soon, I'm tired of working on it.

Vealmonkey
03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
That brake drum looks to have little or no wear on it. Some manufacturers have allowed for slightly thicker brake shoes to allow for well worn brake drums, which most trikes have. You don't even have a wear lip along the edge of the drum which most trikes will have when the drum is worn down. You just have to break those shoes in somewhat and you will have lots of wear in that drum it looks like. You just have some very nice looking low wear pieces. I wish I was so lucky with some of my trikes. LOL

MonroeMike
03-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Also, MonroeMike, which shop manual were you using? I cannot find a copy of the ATC 200 (no letter) anywhere on the forum. Find the M and the S. Any suggestions?

Actually, that page is from the S manual you're probably talking about. Your machine uses the same shoes (so does my 1980 185). The M manual has the same brake spec's also. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong...

There's a 1981 Honda Manual with a 185s/200 (no letter) addendum floating around here somewhere, (it has the same brake spec's too), I'll try to locate it for you. I use that and the S manual when working on mine.