PDA

View Full Version : 85 tecate help

mc audio
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
i just bought a 85 tecate in fair shape for $270 it runs but if dose not have the power it should have i dont think the power bands is kicking in it has extended swing arm and axle extenders on it i think that is was raced once flat track it sits low to the ground but any help would be great thanks

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3340/matts045.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matts045.jpg)

Hoosier_Daddy
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
A little more info would be helpful. Is the pipe dented up? Anything else that could cause it that you might be able to mention?

fabiodriven
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Sometimes you have to grease the power bands. After a while the grease dries up.

mc audio
03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
the pipe has a a dint and a crack about 5 inches after it comes out of the motor when you wind it out in high rpm it cuts out a little

Hoosier_Daddy
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
the pipe has a a dint and a crack about 5 inches after it comes out of the motor when you wind it out in high rpm it cuts out a little
Depends on how bad the dent in the pipe is. You can find good pipes on Ebay cheap. I would go with a different pipe and then clean the carb and get it jetted. That is the first things i would do.

mc audio
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
i ordered a new set of reed valves for it hope it helps it

fabiodriven
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd get new power bands while you're in there.

mc audio
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
can i weld the tear in the pipe

mc audio
03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
i had a 85 a long time ago it was a beast it ran a lot better than this one but it was down biggest part of the time this one seems to be more reliable i will post some pics up tomorrow

Yamada
03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
IIIIIIIIIIIIII.............................IIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ....III FUIEYDJIHJIGHF
Here is a bunch of letters and characters to add to your messages.

mc audio
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry about the typing.

mc audio
03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
hear is a pic added

Hoosier_Daddy
03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, I must ask, where is the radiator? Is that thing on the front a rigged up radiator?

fabiodriven
03-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't mind the hecklers, they will find something else to do after awhile.

john

Sorry John, I couldn't resist...

Hoosier_Daddy
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Also, when you say that the pipe has a tear, is it tore or dented? If you could get better pics of the pipe that could help. And like John said, if you can get a compression check on it. I am wondering about the radiator though. It that box that's mounted on the front a radiator? Is it hooked up to the hoses and stuff? If there is no radiator hooked up, is could be running too hot and that could cause problems too.

Could you maybe get a few more close pictures?

mc audio
03-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I think it has a radiator off a kx bike yea it is rigged.What should the compression be on it .

mc audio
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I fixed the pipe today puled the dent out and welded the tear. It did not help any.I also took the carb off and went through it was all in good shape.

krazykane
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
what should a 84 t3 be jetted to

Hoosier_Daddy
03-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I think it has a radiator off a kx bike yea it is rigged.What should the compression be on it .Well, it is possible that the radiator is not cooling it properly. That is a much smaller radiator than stock. From the picture it looks like the bottom of the pipe is dented pretty bad. It might just be the picture though.

If that pipe is dented up pretty good, you will definately lose a good amount of power. Yes, pipes are that touchy. Like I said earlier, you should go to ebay and buy a pipe and now, I would get a radiator too. they are very cheap on ebay in good shape. Then i would take your carb apart and clean it really good with carb and choke cleaner.

Last thing to do is go to the local hardeware, or Advanced Auto / Auto Zone and buy some Plastidip, tool dip. It is the coating they use to recoat the handles on pliers and stuff. It will cost $15 or less. While your carb is off, coat the intake boot with 2 good coats of the plastidip. Let the first coat dry for an hour or two then coat it again. Let it dry for a day then.

If you do all that, i bet you'll bring her back to life. As far as compression, I'm not sure personally about how much it should have. i'm sure one of the other guys will fill you in on that.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I fixed the pipe today puled the dent out and welded the tear. It did not help any.I also took the carb off and went through it was all in good shape.
well, if you pulled out the only dent and welded up any holes/tears, we can basically rule that out. Try to get a compression check and post it so some of these guys can help with that. Plus, try the radiator and plastidip for the intake, Like in my last post.

what should a 84 t3 be jetted to

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55086

DixiePlowboy
03-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't know if it was ever raced, but it was built from a bare frame with the intention of racing. I just never got to finish it.

Here's(below your pic) what it looked like when I sold it in 2007 and delivered it to Kentucky......as a rolling chassis and a LOT of parts.

i just bought a 85 tecate in fair shape for $270 it runs but if dose not have the power it should have i dont think the power bands is kicking in it has extended swing arm and axle extenders on it i think that is was raced once flat track it sits low to the ground but any help would be great thanks

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3340/matts045.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matts045.jpg)

mc audio
03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
That's it has 03 on the fenders

DixiePlowboy
03-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I had a local welding shop extend the factory swingarm 2-inches, I spaced the gas tank back and cut the steering stops down a bit, and I took the forks apart and switched the top-out springs with the top spring like the Jimmy White manual called for when setting up for a smooth flattrack(lowered 5+ inches from stock). I hadn't lowered the rear yet when I had it. I painted the hubs and spacers with the same paint that the plastic had been painted with at an auto-body shop before I got it.

I bought the rear wheels new with a set of Duro-HF-245's, and put a narrow (new Kenda front Max)front tire on it. The radiator isn't my doing, though.

I sold it to a guy named Rick that I met through Eric250R here on the boards and met him in KY along I-65 in June of '07.

I've still got pics of the whole deal from painted frame to the classified pics I posted here back then. It spent it's pre-Kentucky life in North Alabama.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-21-2009, 01:45 PM
This certainly helps that one of the previous owners(DixiePlowBoy) is here to give some info on some of the history of the trike. Definitely an advantage.

DixiePlowboy
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Sad thing is, I never got to ride it. I've always wondered if it handled like I expected it to( a sideways-sliding dream). Now that someone has ridden it, maybe I'll finally know if I did any good or not...lol.

Tecate250
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Wow dixie. Great info for mc. I only ever talked with 1 person on who owned a bike of mine. And it helps out ALOT. And like jeswinehart said. There are alot of dead beats. Grease the power band. What a tool.

mc audio
03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
This bike is a sliding machine very stable. I am going out to do a compression test on it right now

Hoosier_Daddy
03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
There are alot of dead beats. Grease the power band. What a tool.I thought that was pretty funny and I'm sure mc audio knew it was just joking around as well. I like to joke a lot as well but I've noticed around here a lot of people get offended very easily. I don't understand why. I try my best to put a smiley face next to my jokes to make sure people know that I'm only kidding and mean no offense but we should be able to kid around and have fun with each other without scrutiny, right? We are all here because we love trikes but we also want to inject a little fun as well.

Tecate250
03-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I too feel the same. BUT not all of us know every term. What if he was a newb? I can see him now searching the web on how to adjust the power valves. He came in here looking for answers. If you joke around make it good and clear. Since the old days when we had fight club where most of the joking around went. But alot more bull happened in there. I always respected all of peoples views and oppinions. How do you know I too was kidding around?

Hoosier_Daddy
03-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I too feel the same. BUT not all of us know every term. What if he was a newb? I can see him now searching the web on how to adjust the power valves. He came in here looking for answers. If you joke around make it good and clear. Since the old days when we had fight club where most of the joking around went. But alot more bull happened in there. I always respected all of peoples views and oppinions. How do you know I too was kidding around?
I agree. You do have a good point.

fabiodriven
03-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow dixie. Great info for mc. I only ever talked with 1 person on who owned a bike of mine. And it helps out ALOT. And like jeswinehart said. There are alot of dead beats. Grease the power band. What a tool.

Up yours you bozo.

mc audio
03-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Went to check the compression yesterday and did not have the right fitting to adapt to the spark plug hole. The compression kit that i have it a old snap on transmission pressure test kit with a 200 psi gauge and a 300 psi gauge but it works fine to check compression i will try to go to the hardware store today and get a fitting

scooterroo
03-22-2009, 11:36 AM
well the pipe has been fixxed, carb cleaned... so did you do the compression check yet? if the cmpression checks out to be ok, check the reeds and intake boot. the intake boots weather and crack thru, robbing you of power. i think it has been mentioned already, but go buy yourself some plier grip dip, and coat the intake if there is cracks. should seal it up nice. have you checked all your electricals? maybe your getting weak spark?

and yeah, just ignore the jokers telling you to check your powerbands and headlight fluids. they mean no harm, just busting your balls. we have all been newbies with questions at one point in time.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
well the pipe has been fixxed, carb cleaned... so did you do the compression check yet? if the cmpression checks out to be ok, check the reeds and intake boot. the intake boots weather and crack thru, robbing you of power. i think it has been mentioned already, but go buy yourself some plier grip dip, and coat the intake if there is cracks. should seal it up nice. have you checked all your electricals? maybe your getting weak spark?

and yeah, just ignore the jokers telling you to check your powerbands and headlight fluids. they mean no harm, just busting your balls. we have all been newbies with questions at one point in time.
I'm still a noobie asking dumb questions. You guys can give me a hard time if ya want to.:lol: Heaven knows, I've taken my lumps since i've been here. lol

I got rid of my post.

mc audio
03-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Got to looking at the intake boot and some body made a gasket for it out of a mountain dew box

scooterroo
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
wow, they thought the commercials for "do the dew" would actually work huh? bet your getting a leak there, replace it with a good gasket see what happens.

fabiodriven
03-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Got to looking at the intake boot and some body made a gasket for it out of a mountain dew box

:lol: That's pretty creative!

mc audio
03-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Done the compression test and it was 45 to 50 psi. That seems low to me but i dont work on 2 strokes much.

Hoosier_Daddy
03-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Done the compression test and it was 45 to 50 psi. That seems low to me but i dont work on 2 strokes much.Yes, that is very low. Sounds like you need to rebuild the top end. You may have to have the cylinder re-coated as well.

Plus, the mountain dew box for a gasket probably isn't helping. Those gaskets are easy and inexpensive though.

Tecate250
03-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry to offend you fabio. I was only kidding.lol

mc audio
03-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Found a NOS cylinder on ebay $99 it is brand new would this be a good choice. Or i found a cylinder that has been sleeved but needs bored for $69 the bore is 69mm

Dirtcrasher
03-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Many of us have beat up people for years about the "power band" thing....

Some people believe there is an actual part that creates greater power. I still hear it today from the 16yo kids on my road and tease the hell out of them. However, I follow that up with a long in depth and well explained DC tutorial :lol:

I thought it was funny Fab!! If I wanted to be serious all the time, I probably wouldn't be riding 3wheelers - maybe a Volvo though :D

dcreel
03-22-2009, 03:58 PM
If you want a considerable increase in power, this nos kx250 cylinder will do it.
http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BOyHel!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BJwZQbcpe!~~_12.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290303914349
If you can pick it up for $99 then that would definitely be a bonus. The price on bikebandit.com for that cylinder is $650.

cr480r
03-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Done the compression test and it was 45 to 50 psi. That seems low to me but i dont work on 2 strokes much.

Try it again with the throttle wide open.. and for accurate results make sure your spark plug adapter has a functioning valve in it and is 3/4" reach like the spark plug.. otherwise it will read much lower than what it really is

If you want a considerable increase in power, this nos kx250 cylinder will do it. If you can pick it up for $99 then that would definitely be a bonus.

$99 dollars would be a steal, But I would not go throwing any performance parts at the machine until you get all of its problems figured out first..

fabiodriven
03-22-2009, 05:54 PM
$99 dollars would be a steal, But I would not go throwing any performance parts at the machine until you get all of its problems figured out first..

Amen. Get the thing runnig before you try to hop it up. Tecates straight-out RUN even bone stock.

fabiodriven
03-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Sorry to offend you fabio. I was only kidding.lol

That's OK. I cried for about an hour and a half last night, but I'm OK now. (snif):(