PDA

View Full Version : 350X Frame Crack

JohnR.
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
The frame on my 85 cracked, I just noticed it today. I haven't ridden it in a few years so I don't know when it happened:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/atc330r/trikes/0318092114.jpg

Anyway, I did some searching and reading on here and according to one of the posts the late 85 frames had gussets that the earlier ones didn't. Can anyone confirm that? Is there an specific spot to look for a gusset that would indicate an early or late frame? I have a spare frame and swingarm that I can switch over to but I'd like to try and figure out if its a "late" frame if such a thing exists at all.

Thanks.

John

threewheelin-feelin
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
the 86 frames were updated with a single gusset that was welded between the motor mount and frame...i have never heard of a 85 frame being gusseted

RapidRick
03-18-2009, 10:44 PM
line everything up, clean the area up, mig or tig the break, grid it down, fab a sleeve to go around the break, mig or tig the sleeve in place.

Yes, you'll probably have to take the bike down to the bare frame or close to it.

I've had two of three frames do this. its common.

JohnR.
03-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on taking down to the bare frame over the summer unless I decided to start pushing to sell it. I found a bunch of info on this over on .org so at least I know what to do about it when its torn down. I'll probably just have my buddy TIG it tomorrow so I can use it this weekend. I have another frame for it too but I already have papers for the bike with the cracked frame and none for the spare. Whichever one I go with, I'm going to gusset it up nicely.

John

Dirtcrasher
03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
This thread I posted may help you out:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=91917

JohnR.
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks crasher! I actually just came across that about 5 minutes ago. I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop right now and going to bed but tomorrow I'm going to sit down and read it beginning to end. I've got mine over at my buddy's right now, we're going to weld it up Saturday as a temporary fix and then when I tear the whole thing down to the frame we're going to go to town on gusseting it like yours is. He can TIG so when we do the gussets it'll come out NICE.

Thanks Again!

John

Dirtcrasher
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I gotta put the gussets in a file so I can email them to all you guys....

Nick_R_23
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
You should produce a gusset kit people can weld on themselves for the 350x frames, DC. I bet you could sell quite a few of those.

-Nick :TrikesOwn