PDA

View Full Version : 450R swinger on 250R frame GUYS....c'mon in!

saleen_n_around
03-17-2009, 07:58 PM
So, does the 85 and 86 swinger on a 250R dimensionally bolt up the same? I know people have put 450R swingers on their 250R, but does it matter on what year frame? Are the 85 and 86 frames and swingarms interchangeable? I am jumping in!!!

riverrat
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know about the 450R swinger, I was told it fits, but some years are an inch shorter.

I have a 85' 250R with a 86 swingarm in it, so I am assuming they bolt up the same.

BC250R
03-18-2009, 01:32 AM
85 or 86 frames are no worries. Problem with the 85 is the bearing carrier size difference, it won't fit the 450R. With the 86 you can retain your carrier therefore axle, brakes etc without the added expence of the all that stuff from the 450R.

I have fitted the entire rear suspension from an 06 450R. (05 and earlier are 1 inch shorter than standard 250R).

The main complication is the fixed horizontal resivior on the rear shock. After making clearance for this, you then findout its in the way of the exhaust. After modifying the entire exhaust so it passes lower under the res. you find out the exhaust isnow in the way of the rear brake master cylinder.

An after market rear shock with remote resivior would make this an almost drop in conversion.

Only other thing was to extend the 450R dogbone link 55mm to get the ride height back.

I have seen this conversion done using just the swinger and keeping the 250R shock and linkages. Seemed to work but you dont really achieve too much over standard.

By changing everything i now have a full roller bearing pivoted rear end that is 30years newer in design and wear and the ride quality is ridiculously good. You feel the front wheel hit a bump, wait to feel it in the rear........but it just doesn't happen.

Here's a link to a step by step i did on our Aussie 3 wheeler website,

http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5459

Give it a go, its worth it.
Brett