PDA

View Full Version : Cobra pipe on atc90?

hadar
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Anybody run one of these? How do you like it? What's better, the Cobra or Dg? I got a 78 atc90 that needs a new pipe and a few prayers.

the great gazoo
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Anybody run one of these? How do you like it? What's better, the Cobra or Dg? I got a 78 atc90 that needs a new pipe and a few prayers.

It'll definitely sound loud! I've heard a cobra on a 90 before, & all it did was raise the decibels. Ya gotta think about intake as well. You got plans for a carb/intake?

Vealmonkey
03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Dg is a much better pipe. A cheap hop up for an atc 90 is to use an atc110 carb and intake. Also score you a nice uni filter or a K&N and one of those outerwears and ditch the stock airbox. Unless you are riding through really deep water, the stock airbox isn't necessary.

hadar
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I'm still runing the stock airbox. If it's real loud I'm not sure I want the cobra anymore. Have an old stock pipe but she's a bit tender sadly. I don't know what exhaust I want. I guess stock but an aftermarket pipe just seems real attractive right now.

hadar
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I ended up with the cobra. It's loud as crap and not quite what I wanted. Ought to perform good though and the price was right: $100 shipped. Now I'm wanting to get that stock carb up on out of here. Anyone got any carb recommendations? I've decided to pod it with a uni while I'm at it. This biznich is gonna run hard yet folks.

SWIGIN
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
read post 3

Vealmonkey
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
The Cobra will not give you hardly any performance boost. As far as the carb, If you are on a tight budget, then the cheapest performance upgrade is an atc110 carb and intake. The 110 carb is larger than the 90 carb, meaning more performance. About your only other alternative is to either find you an old aftermarket intake, or to custom make yourself one for a larger carb. You will find out though, it won't take much carb to choke down an atc90. You will be looking at a better cam while you are at it. A nice cam is a cam from a sl or cl 90, which has a way better grind than the stock 90 cam. That should help you pep your trike up alot over stock. Any larger grinds, and you will definitely have to look in to getting a way better pipe and intake and carb. The cheap way is not always the best way and often hurts you later in your build up.

hadar
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I should have got the dg and still might. The pipe that was on there had a larger I/D then the cobra. That should have been my clue to send it on back. Oh well live and learn. The advice is appreciated Veal. I'm getting an sl90 cam for sure. Never had a 90 or 110 but it's fun to play around with makes me feel like I missed somthing riding 2 strokes my whole life damn near.

Vealmonkey
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, I hate to say it cause it will show how old I am. When I first saw a trike, that's all there was, atc90s! There was no competition, nothing else, no other maker had anything like it. They will always have a special place in my heart. I sort of raced mine in the 80s with a group of enthusiasts much like the people on here. No AMA stuff, just some grass roots racing with people that were really into thier trikes. And you only had 2 classes, pretty much stock and pretty much anything else. It was fun. There was some beverage consumption and stuff. And alot of teens and wives and girlfriends rode in the basically stock class. Basically stock was pretty much, exhaust, carb, cam air filter and maybe tires. Everything else was just that, bore, stroke, fuel, mega cams, porting, polishing, headwork pretty much the sky was the limit. There were a couple 185s and then the 250r hit the scene. All went crazy then. Those were the days.
Oh you still have the custom pipe route. I'm trying to see if I can bend anything that seems halfway decent and will work with either an aftermarket can or an inline baffle.