PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the dent in my gas tank. Advice?

Hoosier_Daddy
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I have a dent in my 350X tank. The dent isn't very bad. But, i don't have any special tools to get it out. Other then this dent, the tank is in excellent condition. It just needs stripped and repainted. I really hope i don't have to shell out the $200 for a new tank on Ebay. But, I'm sure a body shop would charge that much to fix it too. Since it's such a minor dent, i considered putting body filler in because i'm really good at that, but I don't know if it would hold up under the abuse of riding.

Any easy ways to fix this? Should i just put a little filler on it and make it look good? I tried to rough up the area so the dent would show better in the picture but i don't know if it is coming out very well.

tanks350x
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I would use filler, If your good with it, it should hold up fine.. Mine has alot of filler on it and it's holding up great
before...
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT059-1.jpg
After...
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/360dc075.jpg

Hoosier_Daddy
03-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow. Yours looks perfect. Good job on that. Yeah, i guess i'll just use some filler if it will hold up. I'm pretty good with that stuff so it should be ok. Other then that one small dent, my tank is flawless, except the 3 coats of paint I have to strip off so i can paint it properly.:mad:

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm no autobody guy, but you can braise or mig weld some rods on the lowest points of the bad area, heat it up cherry red and pull them out the best you can. Once you have things that hot, they pull out like nothing.....

Then fill them a bit as the least amount of filler the better!

Hoosier_Daddy
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm no autobody guy, but you can braise or mig weld some rods on the lowest points of the bad area, heat it up cherry red and pull them out the best you can. Once you have things that hot, they pull out like nothing.....

Then fill them a bit as the least amount of filler the better!
I thought about something like that but i don't have a welder and even if i did, i haven't welded since the mid 90's. I probably couldn't even run a respectable gorilla weld now days. :lol:

If I could find someone to tack a rod on there for me I could give that a try. I'll do some checking around at the local shops. I'm sure i could get someone to tack on a rod for hardly anything money wise.

money89tractors
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
could always pressurize the tank with air, might pop it out.

-Phil

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Air pressurization is the WORST thing you can do! It can explode and kill you....

Thats why they use water when they build exhausts by hydroforming, if it lets go you get a short burst of water but the pressure immediately drops....

iceman atc
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Can filler be powder coated over?

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I do not believe so....

Thats why I have to fix Goats guard with weld and grind it smooth again....

iceman atc
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
ahh I seee.

AutoXer
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
send it to syko? He does a great job and seems like he dosen't charge alot.... just a sugestion

mc audio
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
could a person put water in it and freeze it that might cause the seams to bust i dont know i have the same problem on my 86 200x

Hoosier_Daddy
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Can filler be powder coated over?

No. The powder won't stick in that area. If I use filler, i would have to use regular automotive paint etc. That isn't a big problem for me, personally though.

Erics350x
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
could a person put water in it and freeze it that might cause the seams to bust i dont know i have the same problem on my 86 200x

Yes, but check it often or it'll be a ball or split